Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

Largest Wheel size for a 69

Was going to go with a custom wheel to get larger wheel and low profile tires....until I saw the Magnum 500's come in larger sizes. What is the largest wheel size that will fit under stock fenders? And will larger rims affect any aspect of handling? Hoping low profile tires will help cornering with the bigger engine.

If anyone has pictures of 16",17" or 18" Magnums.....please post!

I like any size Magnum, depending on how the car is set up, and the over all look / purpose of the car. There are is a bunch of threads on this site covering the max tire and wheel size, but I would say an 18 x 8 front, 18 x 10 rear with appropriate tire sizes would be in the ball park for max. Front suspension, and fender lip mods will get you more room, depending on what you are wanting to do. I searched Google, and found this example

1969-ford-mustang-front-side-view.jpg

some will like it, other's will not. I like it personally. 18's will provide a better selection of performance tires, but your ride will suffer due to the short side wall.

That does look sweet!! But.... latoracing brought up a good point about the ride suffering. Maybe a big block needs the sidewall cushioning because of the weight? Sounds like maybe 16" would be the best of both worlds. I would also keep all 4 wheels the same size so I can rotate them.

I'm running 17's with 245/45's up front. My fenders are rolled and I'm running 1" lowering springs (620's), Bilstien shocks, shelby drop, roller perches and a new 1" sway bar. I'm running a 351 Cleveland which is close to the weight of a big block. I really cannot comment on the ride quality as I haven't had it on the road yet. To me the front end seem soft, but again I won't know how it handles and rides till spring.

Since the title doesn't limit the discussion to magnums, I'll chime in. I'll be running 18x8 all around, which fit fine. ?These are pristine and from a 2011 I believe Mustang GT with only 8k miles. I like the fact that they are oem and forged. They would be 10" in the rear if I had ordered them instead of buying them used. I plan on running a 26" front tire and 27" rear. Wheel opening lips are rolled for and aft.

Bob

IMG_20140114_134051_zps152b3d25.jpg

IMG_20140114_134653_zpsbbf9eeea.jpg

Not magnums, but I have 18" wheels on mine too (Eleanor replicas). I really prefer the look of 18's. I would post pics, but I cant access my photobucket account right now.

isnt that a pic of your car in your signature?