Sign in to follow this  
69scode

Dash pad color

I have a winter blue fastback, now white, and it has the light blue interior. The dash pad is black. As far as I know the dash pad is original. I've seen black and blue on these cars, so which is correct.

I saw on Jeff Lilly's restoration site a 69 Cougar in white with the same light blue interior and that car has the black dash pad.

I knew a guy with a 69 mach 1 that was original "white" interior. The door panels and seats were the only parts colored white....headliner,visors,dash,carpet and quarter pillar panels were all black. I also heard ford would run out of certain colors and mix and match.

Not to hijack this thread but I noticed in the pic from Raven that the console is blue. I have a winter blue with blue interior. I picked up a console and wonder if I should paint it black to match the lower dash or blue to match the rest of the interior.

I knew a guy with a 69 mach 1 that was original "white" interior. The door panels and seats were the only parts colored white....headliner,visors,dash,carpet and quarter pillar panels were all black. I also heard ford would run out of certain colors and mix and match.

That is how the white interiors are. my 7WA (White interior with Black components) vert has that. I don't remember about the visors or pillar panels but the rest was black. I don't think they would willy nilly put in an interior. They would hold the cars on the lines until they had the parts to make them. That's why many cars were produced late. Ford had a good inventory system that was linked to their cars. This is one of the reasons why the data for Marti report exist (but probably more for market analysis). Marti grabbed the data b/c he heard ford was deleting it. 65 and 66 were deleted but 67 or still exist. I agree with the statement that the white interiors were the only interiors that were different. Just imagine an all white interior! White carpet, white kick panel, You would be pimping lol.

Thanks for the replies and information. I have a new black dash pad still in the box. I guess I have a decision to make. As has been said before, it's my car, I can do what I want. It's not a restoration, so I guess I can break a rule. Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies and information. I have a new black dash pad still in the box. I guess I have a decision to make. As has been said before, it's my car, I can do what I want. It's not a restoration, so I guess I can break a rule. Thanks again.

If it helps with your decision...I have an original red dash pulled from a Mach 1 many years ago...the red is only a dye. If I wipe it with lacquer thinner, the red comes right off to expose the black. So it appears even the color dashes, started as black and were just dyed.

Bo

There is a light tan aftermarket pad available to dye the color desired. If I decide to go with the light blue I'll exchange the black one. Not to offend anyone, but the light blue pad with the woodgrain gauge panel seen above didn't really "speak" to me. I am going with a 6 gauge aftermarket panel, so I can make that any color I want. Something to think about.

Now dark blue, the same as or even darker then the carpet, may the way to go. I might have to look into dye colors. Again, this isn't a restoration so I might have to break some rules. Another question since you mention kick panels. I have the standard door panels which leaves the bottom portion of the door metal exposed. I assume that should be painted the same color as the interior, in this case dark blue to match the carpet? I know the Deluxe interior has carpet in this area.

I have the standard door panels which leaves the bottom portion of the door metal exposed. I assume that should be painted the same color as the interior, in this case dark blue to match the carpet? I know the Deluxe interior has carpet in this area.

Standard interior cars would have a light blue color on both the top and bottom of the doors matching the vinyl door panel and seats. The rear seat area would be all light blue with exception to the package tray (assuming no fold down) which would be black. The headliner would be light blue as well as the front pillar covers. I believe that covers everything.

david