Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

3rd brake light in spoiler?

It does look pretty good so far. I think I am going to sand on the light element to get it to fair into the shape of the trailing edge. I am undecided on how much blackout I will do until I get it on the car. I cant see leaving all that light exposed like that.

Yes, good call. That will restore some rigidity that was lost by cutting away part of the trailing edge. How would you box that in? Bond in some pieces of plastic or?

I would make a box out of galvanized metal and bond it in with structural adhesive. This way you would be able to take the lens out if you ever had to work on it. Gluing it in with silicone or seam sealer would prevent you from ever doing that.

Got her done. I really wanted to attach with screws but after playing with spacers and various short clip nuts, I was not able to get the light element to situate in the hole exactly where I wanted it.

I did box in the area and in the interest of time, I sealed off the box area, then siliconed the light in place. It will be very easy to remove in the future if need be and if any of you try this you should use black RTV!

I am pretty happy with it. It is unusually bright when viewed from the rear straight on. Most cars will place drivers line of sight well above that so I doubt it would draw much concern. I do plan to play with some masking tape and see what 1/4" tall lens looks like.

If any of you are interested this project was done for about $20 including the quick connectors.

Edited by miketyler

Nice work, Mike, I like it. I considered adding a 3rd light to my vert because I fear getting rear-ended because of the lack of bright, modern lights but couldn't come with an idea that worked. Your spoiler works and doesn't look out of place.

Dang, Mike, that looks GREAT! I had toyed with this idea for a while, but haven't wanted to cut my nice wing to give it a try. Where did you source the light element from? How did you run the wire into the trunk? I had thought about running it through the pedestal, but not exactly sure how I would fish it through.

Chuck

Thanks - I too was hesitant to cut into my spoiler. I got the light element off of eBay here for $16

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220870526576?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Since the inside was hollow it was very easy to run it thru spoiler over the left pedestal pivot area and drop it thru there. The pedestal is hollow but limited in space. I wanted to use two-pin molded connector but there wasn't room so went with molex single-lead connectors.

I already had a trunk light (another cheap add-on) and it was a simple matter to run the wiring with the trunk light wiring over to the rear harness and tie into the brake light lead there. It's no more noticeable than it was when I added the trunk light.