Sign in to follow this  
buening

Rear interior hockey trim - behind window gasket?

Hey all, I got the rear glass installed finally and am reassembling the back interior. I have the package tray and sail panels installed and am trying to install the hockey trim. I'm using original hockey trim pieces (my car came with vinyl wrapped pieces of cardboard) and it just doesn't seem to be lining up. Its as if the end that curves up is too long, so I'm wondering if the hockey trim needs tucked between the sail panel and the window gasket? Pics are attached, but is kind of a hard area to get a good angle to show what I mean. In the first picture you can see a scuff mark on the weatherstripping where the hockey trim touched it when I was fitting it up. I have the front two screws installed by the way.

Not sure what is going on then. I don't think the mounting brackets adjust and all holes match up, its just the end seems too long. Its probably 1/2" too long :(

Guess I will get out the fiberglass panels and see how the screw holes line up with the hockey trim installed. I hate to trim an OEM piece down but its all I can think of right now. Thoughts?

looks like in the pic, if you push the end of the panel towards the sail panel, it will line up. Are you saying when you do that, it is touching the rear window/rear window gasket?

The brackets underneath dont have any adjustment but could they be installed upside down?

looks like in the pic, if you push the end of the panel towards the sail panel, it will line up. Are you saying when you do that, it is touching the rear window/rear window gasket?

The brackets underneath dont have any adjustment but could they be installed upside down?

Yeah if I push the trim towards the sail panel, the gasket is in the way. Not by a little, but by a lot thus why I wondered if it tucked between the gasket and the sail panel. The brackets could indeed be installed upside down. Anything is possible with this PO. Anyone have any pics of the backseat area with these clips exposed so I could compare?

could the new gasket/seal be thicker causing the problem?

I haven't got this far with my car yet and not that familiar with how

the hockey stick fits but it's just a thought.

Not sure, guess its possible! It'd have to be a pretty thin gasket for as much as this thing interferes.

If the front piece is where it belongs, then the hockey stick should line up where it belongs. If not it could tuck up underneath the gasket.

I still need to get out there with my fiberglass panels to see how they fit. Cold, snow, work, and kids have prevented this from happening. Thanks for the ideas guys!

I might also pull the part numbers from these hockey trim pieces and make sure they are correct for my application.

Thanks! Of all the pictures I have collected, none had the rear interior removed. I noticed the holes in the brackets are in the center on that pic, whereas mine are in an upper corner. If the fiberglass quarter trim ends up being off, I may position it and redrill holes in those brackets so it all fits up nicely. I kind of wonder if that wasn't what the factory did anyways.

Thanks! Of all the pictures I have collected, none had the rear interior removed. I noticed the holes in the brackets are in the center on that pic, whereas mine are in an upper corner. If the fiberglass quarter trim ends up being off, I may position it and redrill holes in those brackets so it all fits up nicely. I kind of wonder if that wasn't what the factory did anyways.

Yes Buening you are correct I have seen a lot of these brackets because I had to locate a set for my car and I don't think any of them have the holes in the same place.

Dave

i would check the position of those brackets. I really dont see how they could be installed wrong but maybe if all are upside down, then it shifts the entire hockey stick up? Mine really put pressure on my package tray to hold it all in place--looks like there is a little bit of a gap btw hockey stick and your package tray.

The bracket that would determine where the back of the hockey stick ends would be the bracket that helps support the package tray/filler piece and this bracket could not be upside down but it could be on the wrong side but if this was the case the tab would be pointing the wrong way.

Dave

Edited by det0326

I'm an idiot. The aftermarket insulation for the package tray is much thicker than the original, so I had to press down pretty hard and it lined up. I only had to redrill the back passenger hole, all others match up.

I'm an idiot. The aftermarket insulation for the package tray is much thicker than the original, so I had to press down pretty hard and it lined up. I only had to redrill the back passenger hole, all others match up.

No your not an idiot, if you saw some of the stupid things I've done it would make you seem like a genius.

Brilliant thread here! I have been stuck with my package tray/ rear trim brackets positioning for a while (lost all my "undo" picks when hard drive crashed - no back up...). This thread just made my day!

I feel like an idiot too, most of the time. Welcome to the party!!

Edited by Guillaume69

Worst part is all of the installing, moving, and uninstalling of the hockey trim scratched the crap out of my package tray paint and the new sail panels. Oh well, live and learn!

Glad I wasn't the only one struggling with this! LOL