Sign in to follow this  
hawkdriver

Need some help here

Hey Guys,

Need a bit of help, i was told PO used permatex the right stuff for trans pan, i have to change oil and filter, but cannot get the damn thing off. I tried cutting through the gasket to no avail, tried gasket remover even though i was told it wouldn't work, i don't have the ability to remove the trans to work on on it so I'm under car, and cannot for the life of me get the pan removed without damaging pan or trans. Any suggestion would help, Thanks. FMX if it matters

Last thought is 3 putty knifes and hammer but this may screw up pan if you are not careful. Hammer thru with the first knife then put the next knife a few inches away and place knock the third thru a few inches away from that. Always keep first knife in its place and work the second and 3rd knife around. Kinda hard to write a description on how to do this but I think you will get the drift. Get good knifes that have strong handles that can be hammered (I have some with metal handles) without breaking. If those don't work you may need to use dynamite lol. Cannot think of anything else right now.

Last thought is 3 putty knifes and hammer but this may screw up pan if you are not careful. Hammer thru with the first knife then put the next knife a few inches away and place knock the third thru a few inches away from that. Always keep first knife in its place and work the second and 3rd knife around. Kinda hard to write a description on how to do this but I think you will get the drift. Get good knifes that have strong handles that can be hammered (I have some with metal handles) without breaking. If those don't work you may need to use dynamite lol. Cannot think of anything else right now.

That is what I was going to suggest use a putty knife.

If he used the right stuff, how long ago did he apply it? How long has the right stuff been on the market? Guess I'm asking does the tranny really need serviced? Just saying. Yes it is a bear to remove. Think I might use a 4" razor type scraper blade, held on one end with vise grips, and tap the other with a hammer.

Bob

4" razor scraper blade in vice grips gets my suggestion. Tap it in with a hammer, and then use muscle or tap it with a hammer around the perimeter to cut through the gasket/sealer. You can get a scraper blade from Lowes or Menards pretty cheap, and they are thicker than your typical razor blades. Similar to a putty knife thickness, but with a razor edge to help cut through that crap. I've used it before on separating glass and plexiglass bonded around the perimeter with clear caulk.

Using the putty knife makes it too easy to try prying the pan off, which only bends the flanges and makes sealing it back up a nightmare.

I would have thought a thin bladed putty knife carefully tapped in (no prying) to cut the sealer loose. Cant believe they sealed both sides of the gasket but maybe they were trying to fix a stubborn leak? To your benefit, the FMX is steel case so not likely to scar up the sealing surface of the trans.

This may sound stupid but make sure you've removed all of the bolts! Count the bolts you've removed against how many the trans pan has. It really only takes one un-removed bolt to hold the pan that tight! Whack it a good one with a rubber mallet not a hammer.

I know you said Permatex but it almost sounds like the PO used good ole Indian Head gasket cement!

Got it, Thanks for the help all, It was done by putty knife and shimming it out as i went. Thanks for all your help. However i did find it bent slight, not sure if it was from me or PO as it did seep a little. Any advice on flattening it out prior to putting it back on. Thanks again for all the help

Is it twisted bent or is the flange uneven? If the latter, I'd use a plastic head hammer and use some finesse on it. Once you razor blade the right stuff off, I've found that the 2" round plastic type buffing pads remove the remaining rs material pretty well. Good luck.

Bob

Flange uneven, mainly dented around bolt holes slightly, noting major just want any problems moving forward

If the bolt holes are dented or dished from over tightening, place the flange on a block of wood dished side down. Place the "ball end" of a small ball peen hammer on the raised hole and easily smack the hammer head with another hammer. This will push the "countersunk hole" back out. Take your time and DO not over hammer.