shaun071

69 Coupe Aussie Style Restomod

It"s getting there slowly. I've got some big jobs coming up on the coupe. Classic update AAW harness arrived this week, I've ordered a Dakota Digital VHX dash with KMH speedo and Nu-Relics power window kit.

Since I bought the 18 inch wheels I'm having a rethink about brakes. Those drums look tiny behind those wheels! Looking at using the Cobra brakes front and rear.

Mate there's a mob in Australia called classic cruisers, they do brembo brake kits for muscle cars

A guy on one of the Falcon Coupe forums just bought one of his kits and said it was really good. I might have to check them out.

I spoke to a local compliance engineer about Aussie compliance and brakes. As of January 2014 you don't have to do seat belts or child restraints on pre 1972 cars anymore.....

there's $1500 I didn't have to spend:censored::censored::censored:

He also does brake kits so I'll see what he's got.

Mate there's a mob in Australia called classic cruisers, they do brembo brake kits for muscle cars

A guy on one of the Falcon Coupe forums just bought one of his kits and said it was really good. I might have to check them out.

I spoke to a local compliance engineer about Aussie compliance and brakes. As of January 2014 you don't have to do seat belts or child restraints on pre 1972 cars anymore.....

there's $1500 I didn't have to spend:censored::censored::censored:

He also does brake kits so I'll see what he's got.

http://cruizinclassics.com.au/

I haven't looked on the site myself got the link from Aussie Coupes. The guy who got them raved avout the better braking.

Glenn83, did you speak to the ebay seller doing the 298mm BF Falcon brakes onto Mustangs? I was doing some ebay surfing and came across a BF Turbo upgrade- 322mm rotors (Territory) with a different caliper cage on the standard caliper. Might be workable.

Thanks for the reply, yes I did, he has that ones that are on eBay all the time and they also do the kit with the territory rotors, i think the starting price was about $1100.

I wound up winning one of his kits on ebay- 330mm rotors and VE callipers set up to fit on Falcon spindles for $700. I've already got the spindles as I was going to use XF Falcon brakes on the front. That was until a cash injection and 18" wheels....... Any Aussies want to buy a complete new XF front brake package to suit 69-70 Mustang? (spindles, slotted rotors callipers braided lines etc)

Next is rear brakes. I'm looking at using 2005-14 Mustang GT rear 300mm discs using the Mustang Steve adaptor kit.

I seem to be doing a lot of part buying but don't spend anywhere near enough time actually working on the coupe. Plus its been 40*C the last few weekends. Underneath is mostly ready for paint. After that I'll remove the diff and fuel tank and start on the under trunk area. I've only found a couple of pin holes in the trunk drop offs but got new ones from CJ's. More fun on my back!

Thanks for the reply, yes I did, he has that ones that are on eBay all the time and they also do the kit with the territory rotors, i think the starting price was about $1100.

I wound up winning one of his kits on ebay- 330mm rotors and VE callipers set up to fit on Falcon spindles for $700. I've already got the spindles as I was going to use XF Falcon brakes on the front. That was until a cash injection and 18" wheels....... Any Aussies want to buy a complete new XF front brake package to suit 69-70 Mustang? (spindles, slotted rotors callipers braided lines etc)

Next is rear brakes. I'm looking at using 2005-14 Mustang GT rear 300mm discs using the Mustang Steve adaptor kit.

I seem to be doing a lot of part buying but don't spend anywhere near enough time actually working on the coupe. Plus its been 40*C the last few weekends. Underneath is mostly ready for paint. After that I'll remove the diff and fuel tank and start on the under trunk area. I've only found a couple of pin holes in the trunk drop offs but got new ones from CJ's. More fun on my back!

Finally had some time to get some work done

IMG_1936_zpse34f8429.jpg

Firewall to transition pan mostly painted with Rustseal

IMG_1935_zps691afc87.jpg

Fuel tank out

Here is the front brake kit I bought designed for disc brake spindles: 13" rotors PBR twin piston callipers (Holden Commodore/Pontiac GTO) with custom hub and brackets

IMG_1922_zpsbfe076aa.jpg

IMG_1923_zps74e993cb.jpg

IMG_1925_zps4abb5967.jpg

IMG_1927_zps2ab721d5.jpg

I've just bought a 1 1/8 inch master cylinder and still have rear disc kit to buy. A local import shop may have some Ford racing rear kits coming in that he says are for a small bearing 9 inch. If not I'll have to bite the bullet and get the brackets etc from Mustang Steve. Tomorrow hopefully the rear end will be out and I can take the centre to a local shop to be rebuilt with a truetrac and 3.5 gears

I've had some time to work on the coupe and buy some partsIMG_1774_zps09a8ed7c.jpg18x8 SSA Cobra with +6 offset. I'm looking at using either 245/45/18 or 245/40/18 tires all round5993F2AF-FAC7-4A5F-B4F5-EECE26AFC418_zpsCleaning up the underside for chassis coat and stonegard.IMG_1770_zps8cc5ca5a.jpgPatrick getting his Mustang on. 10 weeks old- you've gotta start the love early

That is a great little shirt

When he outgrown it,you should frame it and out it in his room or in your garage

Bob

Shaun, what did you think of quality of the UPC brake kit? I noticed there always on ebay, just reading different falcon and wannabe muscle car torana forums they seemed to have mixed opinions...

Hi Glenn, I'd heard mixed reviews on them. Everything seems to line up properly when I did a test fit up. The quality got better over time. My only real complaint is there are no instructions or replacement parts list included and the calipers weren't painted just left in raw alloy after beadblasting. I had heard they don't do all the powdercoating/painting on the $1 no reserve kits.

I've made a decision to go with hopper stoppers for the rear kit. They have a bolt on kit now using BA Falcon 303mm rotors/ calipers and banksia style park brake. It's a little pricey at $1250 with slotted rotors but all new components. With ghe aussie dollar dropping I thought getting local gear with replacement parts available everywhere made the most sense.

Yep fair enough, I've had a good look at the hoppers stoppers stuff as well and probably gonna go with one of there front brake kits, every body seems to talk very highly of there stuff. In regards to there rear brake kits whats the go with a banksia style park brake?? I haven't heard of it before..

I also gota set of ba ute seats of ebay that I'm gonna try set up similar to yours.

Banksia is the one with a drum brake in the centre of the rotor. Falcons have had them since the mid 90s. It allows the caliper to have less moving parts without having a parkbrake set up.

Thanks for liking the seat set up if you want more detailed pics I can post them up.

Thanks Ash. I'm actually after 2sets of the short plastic trims that cover the seat hinges. I'm using BA ute seats and was going to use the short inner trims on both sides of the seat so I don't haveto use the long trims with the seat switch. Black ones would be great if you have them. I'll post a pic when I get the chance.

I know the ones you mean, Shaun. Will using the inner fronts fit to the outers up against the rocker? They have a pretty steep angle to curve up with the tunnel.

I should have a few sets of black ones.