Sign in to follow this  
brandos69stang

Clearance Inner Wheel Well for wider tires .... Help

I got a 69 Stang looking to fit the widest rear tires and get some custom wheels made.

I have 4 link rear end with coil overs out back, so the leaf springs are gone.

I dont want to go the mini tub route, but wanted to inquire and see if anyone has pics and info on doing some clearance mods?

The first place the tire bulge will hit is the inner wheel well down low towards front. Done the sledge hammer thing, but still want to gain more clearance in that area.

Has anyone done a partial cut and patch of that area with success.

any pics and info would be awesome

If you go inside the car and draw out what needs to be removed in that area before cutting, it might give you an idea. If you are going for max tire width, it might be a good idea to find a mock up tire, so you have something to verify areas of concern. The bump stop is another area of attention. Minor mods are fairly easy, compared to a mini tub.

If you do "pie cut" the inner wheel well corner, just use a cutoff wheel to put a vertical slit in, remove the material behind to the actual shape you need. Push the inner wheel well to fit the trimmed areas, and fill in the gap with a patch. Trim a little at a time, along with the slit height, to get where you need to go. Just don't take too much at a time. Have fun, and post some pics!

I do have a nice moch up tire/wheel.

I have a 17x9.5 with 6" BS with a 275/40/17,

Right now there is a good 1.25" from the inner tire bulge to the inner wheel well everywhere except that front lower section, where its about 1/2" there.

if I do trim this closest corner , i will be able to go a wider wheel, with more backspace maybe 6.5-7" and be able to use a 305? or 315?

the bump stop ear clears everything, because i have 17's , but will trim it

anyone out there thats done this "piecut " trim id love to see pics and what tire you were able to squeeze in there.

thx

I do have a nice moch up tire/wheel.

I have a 17x9.5 with 6" BS with a 275/40/17,

Right now there is a good 1.25" from the inner tire bulge to the inner wheel well everywhere except that front lower section, where its about 1/2" there.

if I do trim this closest corner , i will be able to go a wider wheel, with more backspace maybe 6.5-7" and be able to use a 305? or 315?

thx

I am running a 335-30-18 on a 18 x 12 rear rim with a 7" back spacing, and I have a 2" mini tub and a stock width axle (59.25") . I don't know if you would be able to run that much back spacing, then again, I might be wrong too.

I am running a 335-30-18 on a 18 x 12 rear rim with a 7" back spacing, and I have a 2" mini tub and a stock width axle (59.25") . I don't know if you would be able to run that much back spacing, then again, I might be wrong too.

Thats a BIG tire

I am running an 18X10 with a Nitto 305/35 and only used the BFH method. No tubs.

I'm running 275/40/18s on 18 x 10 rims. Probably could have gone to a 285 possibly 295 without rubbing issues. My car sits about 2" lower than stock (Ride Tech all around) but have not had any rubbing issues when push hard around turns with current set up.

I don't think pie cutting will solve all the issues, as you are still restricted by the location of the welded flange. Here is a pic of mine before and after the BFH in the front lower inner wheelhouse.

231-130114090914-305697.jpeg

231-130114090914-308714.jpeg

My immense amount of clearance to the leaf springs

231-130114090834-3011583.jpeg

My wheels are 17x10.5 Bullitts from American Muscle with 6.8" backspace and 1/2" wheel spacer (net 6.3" backspace) with Sumitomo HTR Z 315/35/17. My car is not exactly lowered to the point where I want it (see below), but I do have rubbing in that same location shown above when going around a curve.

231-130114091158-3261443.jpeg

I'm not sure which welded flange you're referring to because the addition of pie section necessitates moving and squaring off the original angled section that a BFH usually takes care of. With this mod, the distances between the tire and the inner wheel sheet metal is about the same as between the tire and the lower 4 bar from the Ride Tech suspension. Any additional clearance would require both to be moved.

I'm not sure which welded flange you're referring to because the addition of pie section necessitates moving and squaring off the original angled section that a BFH usually takes care of. With this mod, the distances between the tire and the inner wheel sheet metal is about the same as between the tire and the lower 4 bar from the Ride Tech suspension. Any additional clearance would require both to be moved.

Flange may have been a poor choice of words. The point which the wheelhouse overhang/lip meets the rear floorboards. Mine rubs at this point. It appears you cut this portion and moved it inwards.

SM69Mach can you share a little more on your set up?

I am running a 18X10 Bullitt style wheel that fits the 94-04 mustang and running a nitto DR 305/35. Its has a 6.38 Backspacing and I am not running any spacers. The Nittos run a bit small and I am looking to get rid of the DR as it is not the best road tire, so I will proably drop to a 295 or so.

The gaps look alot like buening showed on his clearences for the front of the inner fender and the leaf spring. I rolled both fender lips and only get a bit of scrapping on big bumps. I need to redo the passender fender lip and I think that will solve my issue.

Here are a couple of angle to show the set up on the car

9359126735_fb3a854f57_o_zps3aafec62.jpg

66750_589084097781150_243540073_n_zpsb43a4d23.jpg

man that think looks great, what are you running for springs up front and out back?

Its actually pretty basic. I order a graba track package years ago. Was told it came with 620 springs, but I think they are a little less as I have a set of 620 springs and they are a bit bigger. I need to swap them out as I am a little too low in the front and it scraps everything with the header. With the big block that pulls it down some too.

Rear is Mid eye leafs and 2in lowering blocks. Not ideal but got the car where I wanted it to sit and has never been an issue for me

Sm69mach, very nice!! Do you mind posting up some more pics, of the rear tire set up for me? Looking for some close up's. :)

Rip, I will see if I can get more pics up for better shots. I have a few but nothing that shows alot of detail. Anything in particular you are looking to see?

Its actually pretty basic. I order a graba track package years ago. Was told it came with 620 springs, but I think they are a little less as I have a set of 620 springs and they are a bit bigger. I need to swap them out as I am a little too low in the front and it scraps everything with the header. With the big block that pulls it down some too.

Rear is Mid eye leafs and 2in lowering blocks. Not ideal but got the car where I wanted it to sit and has never been an issue for me

That's awesome! I was thinking I would have to spend a crazy amount of money to get the car to look like that. I already have the Total control bolt in coil overs in the front. (2" drop) so not I'm just trying to figure out the rear. where do you get the lowering blocks from?

Rip, I will see if I can get more pics up for better shots. I have a few but nothing that shows alot of detail. Anything in particular you are looking to see?

Just looking to see basic wheel fitment, dead on and from the rear if you could. :biggrin: