Sign in to follow this  
RobotMan

Transmission cross support

I am beginning restoration of a 69' Mach with my 14 yr old son for his first car. The car is a rust bucket and requires lots of body work. I am in the middle of putting in a full piece floor pan, floor supports, etc. I have a 351 W for it and am planning to put a more modern 5 spd trans in it. For this transmission conversion does the transmission cross support need to be put in later possibly in a different position to fit the new tranny or can it be put in original position.

Thanks in advance for your help

Welcome to the forum.

The cross support can go back in the stock location, it would be interesting to move it back, but then it would get in the way of the shifter hole.

Are you installing a T-5, or a TKO of some sort?

I am going TKO with a Windsor, and had to modify the cross support to fit it correctly (drive line angle). It will fit with out this mod, but the angle will be steep and could vibrate. Some people have done it with no ill effects. Search the forum, there are a few threads on fitting different 5-speed gear boxes, good reads.

U will need a T5 crossmember which are already fabricated to fit a t5 to a 69 mustang . One member here just posted one for sale in the Parts for Sale section. You can modify your original trans crossmember with welding and measuring to adapt it . Once you put T5 in car you can install the crossmember afterwards.

My buddy has a Tremec TR-3650 transmission I could get with low miles. What are your thoughts on it. Thanks for the input.

Like this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlHc1vGHWMzZvX426Swr5N_sXN--RrXlOv3PwuI-9CZjnoq1pVRw

They came in 99-04 Mustangs behind a 4.6L and if it is one of those, that is all it will bolt to. Wouldn't go there if it were me.