Sign in to follow this  
7TCatvert

69 Boss barn find on BAT

If you are not familiar with BAT it is a really neat website that scours the internet looking for interesting vehicles for sale. I like it because of all of the unique cars that I have never heard of or seen. They update it with a couple cars a day.

Today the have a 69 boss that was a barn find....great color....I wish my barn find would have been in as good a shape or as rare...

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/01/03/40-years-in-a-barn-1969-ford-mustang-boss-302/

Interesting find and it decent shape for sitting in a barn for 30+ years. It has some classic mods too. Like the glasspack mufflers, larger oil pan, and a 289 HiPo distributor. The tires look amazing, figured they'd be dry rotted pretty bad.

I would love to own this boss. Like many of the barn find cars, there will be rust on the underside. You cant tell how bad its rusted by the pictures. There is rust popping out of the trunk lid, which is a bad sign. There is also rust on the rear inner fender panel overlap area on the driver side. Another interesting find is the oil and filter change stickers show a date of 8/22/73 and mileage of 40 ..3 The car was sold on 9/17/69, seems like 10K a year would be correct. It seems that 43K mileage doesn't jive. Anyhow it a great project car. In my opinion the ebay bid @ $ 37K is past its max value. when restored it will be way over market value.

Edited by Alan_Mac

Got my car from an auction. It was in a barn for over 30 years. Besides floor boars, interior and top, it was in decent shape. There was a boss at the auction it was a piece of meat. It has sold a few time at least one time for less than it cost at auction. I think they looked at how much it would cost to bring it up to snuff. It did not have a single piece of sheet metal in decent shape. Lucky my 69gtdroptop was first of many mustangs that day and I got a great price on it. Sheet metal was nice beside 1 fender which could be fixed but I got a new/old fender. I am always looking for that barn find but have not found one myself. That car looks pretty good and people pay a ton of cash for Bosses that sit around in barns for a while.

Yeah the bogus bidding has been brought up on the boss 302 site. Two bidders are no longer there that were cranking up the price. Parts on car that are not supposed to be there. Some parts very clean but other rusty. Sound like the barn find story may be a story. Some work was probably done on this car. SOunds like someone is probably scamming. I hope the buyers know about the Boss 302 site and see what is being said.

Went for $74,100 in the end. I wonder if it will ever see the road again.

If they put another $100K into it for a complete restoration, should be able to get $75,000. (LOL) Seriously, another $10K to $20K just to correct, replace, and clean-up will still leave it as a $75,000 to $90,000 vehicle at best. :confused:

Got my car from an auction. It was in a barn for over 30 years. Besides floor boars, interior and top, it was in decent shape. There was a boss at the auction it was a piece of meat. It has sold a few time at least one time for less than it cost at auction. I think they looked at how much it would cost to bring it up to snuff. It did not have a single piece of sheet metal in decent shape. Lucky my 69gtdroptop was first of many mustangs that day and I got a great price on it. Sheet metal was nice beside 1 fender which could be fixed but I got a new/old fender. I am always looking for that barn find but have not found one myself. That car looks pretty good and people pay a ton of cash for Bosses that sit around in barns for a while.

I agree with your sentiment that 'barn finds' are hit/miss - I think a lot of the allure is getting a barn find for a slick price, as the car had been forgotten, etc. My '70 Mach was a bit of a 'barn find' and sat for 20 years in Mooresville, NC. It's cool to think I'm saving something forgotten/unused for so long, but as you clean out the dead rodents and discover the mice damage, smells, and the reasons why the car was parked for so long, it loses some of its appeal. I think I'd rather have a "grandma only took to church on Sundays car," but then again most of those seem to be I6/auto green coupes, not Grabber Orange Mach 1s with a shaker. The hot color cars always seem to get run harder/faster.

Well final price for this boss is extremely high even though it has a drag pack. I am glad that I have my boss 302 in the barn. It must be going up in price daily in there lol. I assume the person that bought it has a lot of money to blow on a barn story. To resto that boss is probably at least another 20-30k so I think they may be just keeping it as is.

A friend of mine has restored several Boss Mustangs, is in the middle of a Boss restoration right now, and he wouldn't touch it when it was at $34k. He has managed to turn a profit on every Boss he's restored, and I think the most he ever got for one when the market was up was around $70k.