Sign in to follow this  
stangs-R-me

'68-69 Disc Brake Dist Block & Prop Valve ...

... has FINALLY been REPRODUCED !!

Just read about it in the Jan 14 Mustang Monthly.

A complete assembly including the dist-block, brake switch, prop-valve, bracket & prop-valve tube lines is available or you can buy just the Proportioning Valve:

NPD # 2B257-16A ... $148.05

or

NPD # 2B091-2A ... $68.95

Really wish this was available a few years back when I completely overhauled my brakes !!

I bought all new lines and "rebuilt" my distribution block using a Muscle Car Research seal kit and was lucky that my block & spool were in decent enough shape that new seals seemed to do the trick ... but would be more comfortable with a brand NEW distribution block than one re-sealed by me.

As far as the Prop Valve, I had been running just a K-H adjustable one since the 80's, but had since read that you should really run this in "series" with the factory one rather than replace it.

Original Prop Valve was long gone but I had a NOS Ford "replacement kit" laying around (not same style as OE '68-69) that I managed to make work in "series" with the K-H using the new tubes supplied in the line kit & the tubes supplied with the replacement prop valve.

Doug

As far as the Prop Valve, I had been running just a K-H adjustable one since the 80's, but had since read that you should really run this in "series" with the factory one rather than replace it.

Original Prop Valve was long gone but I had a NOS Ford "replacement kit" laying around (not same style as OE '68-69) that I managed to make work in "series" with the K-H using the new tubes supplied in the line kit & the tubes supplied with the replacement prop valve.

Doug

It seems like retaining the original prop valve would limit the range which is adjustable with the K-H valve. I could be missing something... not sure.

It's good that it's finally available. But unless originality is needed even a rebuild kit from West Coast Classic Cougar is expensive. Wildwood makes an adjustable prop valve/distribution block for about $75. Guess with my shadow pockets I made the right choice in letting my brother buy the 69 R code scj drag pack I located (not!) that he's kept original.

Bob

It's good that it's finally available. But unless originality is needed even a rebuild kit from West Coast Classic Cougar is expensive. Wildwood makes an adjustable prop valve/distribution block for about $75. Guess with my shadow pockets I made the right choice in letting my brother buy the 69 R code scj drag pack I located (not!) that he's kept original.

Bob

I had bought the Scott Drake C7ZZ-2B257-A block with the propotioning valve "Built-in" at one point. Right on the package it states 64-73, so I figured I would just need to tweak the new '69 PDB line set I bought. Well, simple tweaking was not going to cut it as some of the threaded end sizes were even different.

To me, the point of buying a complete NEW line kit was to replace the existing OE lines that had already been repaired & modded by me back in the 80's. To make matters worse, all of the cut & re-flares (I think I counted 7 total while disassembling) were "single flare" as I did not have a double flaring tool at that point !!

Anyway, I was NOT going to moddify this NEW line kit to work with this new Distribution/Proportioning Block combo, so I thankfully stumbled upon Muscle Car Reasearch who made it possible to re-seal my original block.

See pic of how I snuck the K-H adj. prop valve in series with the 70's Ford repl. prop valve.

Doug

So are the new reproduced ones not exactly the same as the factory originals?

Yes the "NEW REPO" is exactly the same as the '68-69 original.

The N.O.S. Ford prop valve I used in my car is a early 70's replacement kit for '68-69 that used the then current valve (valve is in an aluminum body kinda shaped like texas instead of a round brass body) and included two new pre-bent tube runs to mount up to the '68-69 distribution block.

You can see this different shaped prop valve in the pic I posted between the end of the clutch rod (at the z-bar) & dist-block.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me