Sign in to follow this  
Kris

Whats the best battery

Is there really any advantage to an optima battery compared to a standard high end battery besides the fact that they are spill proof. Do they last any longer than a regular one? I have never had an optima so don't really know the advantages and disadvantages. The main reason I am considering one is due to the fact that it won't leak and rust out the fender apron and battery tray I replaced last summer. At twice the price I am trying to see if it is worth the extra investment or not. Thanks

Is there really any advantage to an optima battery compared to a standard high end battery besides the fact that they are spill proof. Do they last any longer than a regular one? I have never had an optima so don't really know the advantages and disadvantages. The main reason I am considering one is due to the fact that it won't leak and rust out the fender apron and battery tray I replaced last summer. At twice the price I am trying to see if it is worth the extra investment or not. Thanks

I have always used Interstate batteries in cars, boats, tractors, lawn mowers, motorcycles. Never had any problems. There are some other batteries with different names that are made by the same company as interstate batteries that would do just as well I'm sure.

Dave

For a daily driver I am a fan of Motorcraft batteries from the local Ford dealership, not sure who really makes them. I have a friend that has an Optima red top in his kit cobra & has not had great luck with it.

I have a Optima red top in my Mustang. It's mounted in the trunk in my car. It's about 4 years old and so far I've been very happy with it. I've let it sit for months at a time without a charger on it and it will start my high compression engine every time.

The Optima red tops do not like to be allowed to become discharged nor do they like to be quick charged (they will blow out.. acid everywhere!); if either of these situations occurs IMO the battery is junk however if used properly and as design they might last.

personally I will never ever buy another Optima.... can't quick charge or "zap", memory, parallel charging to bring them back and quality.

When I changed the Optima I went with an "Exide" from Sears....

I bought a Optima red top about 20 years ago. That battery has been in at least 8 cars and at one point sat in a shed for two years and didn't discharge at all, still in a daily driver.

I bought another about 3 years ago that is still working great. Then last summer bought another that died after one winter, I think I left the dome light on for about 2 months, it was switched on when I put a new battery in the car. This battery would not take a charge even with the parallel trick. It was swapped out at the store no hassle, did not even ask for a receipt.

I think they are great unless you completely drain them, that seems to ruin them. Our local auto parts store will swap them out without question for 3 years.

I like the Optima. Just a fan of the sealed up unit and have had friends with good luck.

My car has the red top in the trunk. It does not start my car after sitting for a month or so but I am not sure how the previous owner treated it and I do believe it is 8 yrs old.

If I replace it, it will be with another Optima. I just bought a CTEK 4.3 charger which is supposed to be the best smart charger - especially for the Optima.

I went with the optima mainly for the same reason described. Sealed gel battery . No Acid leaks to my battery area. So far So Good!! No acid mess. Good power . I 've had this battery for over 4years. I've been happy with it. No complaints yet.

I have a Die Hard 33023 in my Mach. It has been in service so long I cant remember how old it is. My battery gets a workout with my dual fans that run after I shut the car off. The key to longevity for me has been keeping it charged. I always use a battery tender. I like Interstate battery's also.

IIRC there are only like three automotive battery manufactures here in the states. It's Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls I believe. And John Controls makes a LOT of different batteries. Take a look at this link. I think there maybe a few surprises there aye? B.

http://bestbatterytips.com/tags/who-makes-die-hard-batteries/

IIRC there are only like three automotive battery manufactures here in the states. It's Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls I believe. And John Controls makes a LOT of different batteries. Take a look at this link. I think there maybe a few surprises there aye? B.

http://bestbatterytips.com/tags/who-makes-die-hard-batteries/

I think you are correct. And thanks for that information when I posted the Interstate battery I said that there are some more by different names but could not remember who made them but now that you refreshed my memory it is Johnson controls that makes Interstate as well as many more.

I run a red top in my old tractor and pickup. I heard somewhere that they hold up to vibration better than a regular battery. My tractor sits for months so they at leat mine are holding their charge. For my DDs I like NAPA, Die Hard and then Wal-Mart batteries. Of course there are a different batteries for different purposes. For a DD any battery should be fine but for competition you'll want to look for something smaller and more durable than a regular battery or red top optima.

I've had good and bad Optima batteries. One red top that lasted 5 years. I have Optima batteries (yellow and blue tops) in my boat. The blue top is going on 7 years, and the yellow got changed out last year, with a dead cell, it wasn't a year old. (warrantee) My '04 F-350 had the factory batteries in it (who ever made them) until a year ago. It has all ways been a crap shoot with me, but the optima batteries are the cleanest I have used.

The AGM batteries seem to be better for high vibration environments. Any good sealed battery for our cars is the way to go to help prevent rusting out valuable sheet metal. I had a red top Optima in an old pick-up that was still going strong when I sold it. But that was years ago and I have no idea if it is still in service. B.

I went with a gold series battery from auto zone that has plenty of good reviews. I had a 25% off coupon for any battery they offer. A guy I know that works there told me he gets 4 to 5 time the amount of returns on the optima batteries compared to any other ones they sell. Basically from what I have researched online and when he said the new optimas are junk. Since they started making them in mexico instead of the US in the last few years they don't last. Cant see paying twice the price just to have it crap out quick and only have a 3 yr warrantee.

Not a bad idea, I may look into that. I know some of the mustang suppliers use to sell a battery mat you could get to put under the battery to protect the car from any acid but I can't seem to find them anymore. I also thought about putting some rubber belting under it to help with that and to keep the battery from scratching the tray. I have some 1/4" thick rubber rough top belt from my last job I could cut to go under it. Didn't know if the rubber would cause the tray to rust or not. I have heard the rubber trunk mats are prone to making the floor of the trunk rust.

The Optima red tops do not like to be allowed to become discharged nor do they like to be quick charged (they will blow out.. acid everywhere!); if either of these situations occurs IMO the battery is junk however if used properly and as design they might last.

personally I will never ever buy another Optima.... can't quick charge or "zap", memory, parallel charging to bring them back and quality.

When I changed the Optima I went with an "Exide" from Sears....

Ironically enough I just found a picture of the "Exploding Optima" from the FGT forum... to my earlier post.

IMG-20140101-00628_zps538beea7.jpg

Edited by MAD IN NC

I, so far, have had nothing but good luck with my Optima batteries. A redtop in a VW lasted for a decade and had plenty of life left in it. I replaced it since the CCA were starting to drop AND there was a sale on Optima batteries plus a great coupon at Advance Auto. I have Optima batteries in all 3 vehicles and no issues yet.

I went with a gold series battery from auto zone that has plenty of good reviews. I had a 25% off coupon for any battery they offer. A guy I know that works there told me he gets 4 to 5 time the amount of returns on the optima batteries compared to any other ones they sell. Basically from what I have researched online and when he said the new optimas are junk. Since they started making them in mexico instead of the US in the last few years they don't last. Cant see paying twice the price just to have it crap out quick and only have a 3 yr warrantee.

+1

I've heard the same. My last auto zone "gold" battery lasted me 7 years.

I have had 2 red top optima batteries go bad on me

They were not holding a charge or even accepting a charge anymore

They were both in the 10-12 year old range

A couple of years ago I bough an optima for my truck. No problems

I will buy new optima batteries for my mustangs as I get them back on the road

Bob

BTW, I have had two red top Optima's too a while back, and they lasted just fine. Just that the AutoZone gold batteries seem to last just as long at half the price. My comment was also regarding that I have heard that the new Optima's aren't as good as the older one's. Not sure on the accuracy of that, just what I have heard too on other forums.