Guillaume69

1969 GT Sportsroof

After a year or so of driving and and getting caught in the rain, cause I drive mine all over the place :) my 40+ year old wiper motor died.

So while you're in there you could put in a refurbished wiper motor from autozone and not have to take your car apart again in a year after swearing you'll never get caught in the rain ;)

That is a very sound advice!! I guess I put the old back in because I was so impressed with the yellow markings with dates and all still being on it... I'll think about it when I put the car back together.

Thanks 70mstang.

Edited by Guillaume69

Another really nice project is the clutch and brake pedal assembly. Here, I went for bearings to replace the original bushings that were, well... dead! These bearings, once spot welded, will never go anywhere. I can't wait to test the new feel under my feet.

image_zpsc994b184.jpg

image_zps743a50e2.jpg

image_zps6a51decb.jpg

image_zpsd45c531d.jpg

image_zps468213b6.jpg

image_zps2283aabb.jpg

image_zps3e73b213.jpg

image_zps2b6dc71f.jpg

Edited by Guillaume69

The dash: was in pretty good condition as I had already replaced my original, which was completely beyond salvation, by an other original that I found for $50, back in 97. That one only had a couple cracks and needed overall cleaning. Now was the perfect time to finally do this. Color is dark blue metallic, and I used dye, as this is soft vinyl material.

image_zps80d0a37f.jpg

image_zps49adb4f5.jpg

image_zps248d0d1a.jpg

image_zps012ad33c.jpg

image_zpse31606df.jpg

image_zps431672e8.jpg

image_zps14d1a4cf.jpg

Edited by Guillaume69

A really nice thing I found out about this car when I took the doors apart is that a previous owner had made the conversion to the 70 bolted glass windows. With that, I only had to clean a bit and replace the rubber, to get everything looking almost like new!

image_zps70aa5a87.jpg

image_zpsda68d3ee.jpg

image_zps10f5f6aa.jpg

image_zps4f22a422.jpg

image_zpse44fa511.jpg

image_zpsb9e7cef7.jpg

image_zps5e31b186.jpg

image_zps3b5090e9.jpg

image_zps8666985a.jpg

image_zps802046c6.jpg

Just looked trough your thread, Guillaume69. Fantastic attention to detail in your resto. Makes me realize the bar is set high on this forum.Your work is inspiring for me on my restoration.

Thanks for a very kind comment! Looking at other projects is always a great source of inspiration for me as well.

Now this one is a bigger project: the under dash structure... It took me longer, and more thinking, as I was not an expert in electricity by all means. So I started by cleaning the under dash wiring harness in order to assess it. I found it in relatively good shape, so after locating all the "irregularities", I used a meter and my welder to put it back to normal. It was all about finding cut wires, their origin and destination. It worked pretty well so far.

The structure was media blasted before being epoxy primed and repainted.

image_zpseeefc553.jpg

image_zps3e070b39.jpg

image_zpsa2445006.jpg

image_zps5439a6c6.jpg

image_zps8660f68d.jpg

image_zps1e31c662.jpg

image_zps74547e98.jpg

image_zpscf2235d3.jpg

image_zps063aa8cc.jpg

image_zps205c03b5.jpg

Edited by Guillaume69

Obviously, when you work on the under dash, you have the instrument cluster not far. For that project, I wanted to refresh it, and give it a hint of modernity. I never thought the lenses or the light bulb covers would need to be replaced. When I got them out, well, I found out...

Even though the car was not originally built for export (DSO 44), it must have been sent to Europe (Switzerland, where I found it) very early, as it is equipped with a real, factory, km/h speedometer. I find this way cool!

image_zps8300f41b.jpg

image_zps2eb472c5.jpg

image_zps3cad1ddd.jpg

image_zps265380cd.jpg

image_zpsd4e804f6.jpg

image_zpsab58690d.jpg

image_zpsae1e6791.jpg

image_zps489fcbee.jpg

Edited by Guillaume69

While the car body was being taken care of (media blasting in July, body work Sept through November, and body prep December until now...) I kept myself busy with all the things I took apart.

Heater box: radiator and hoses had already been replaced, a year ago or so. I just got the foam kit and the rest was refurbished.

Top shelf work young man, congrats. Might I ask, how in the world did you remove the fan from the motor shaft without destroying the fan, like I did?

Bob

Excellent attention to the details there!

Regarding the bolt in door windows, I recall reading years ago, probably in Mustang Monthly, that the bolt in windows were a running change made late in the '69 model year. Judging by the late June of 69 date stamps on your heater and wiper motors, your Mustang must fall into this category. Your car was likely built with these bolt in widows installed at the factory. I'd be curious to see the build date on your car, probably a month or so after those date stamps on the motors.

Allan

Allan, the car's VIN ends by 222550, which means it was among the last 69s to be built in Dearborn, as you guessed. The scheduled build date is 16 July 1969 (16G).

I read it was a popular mod for the windows back then, but never knew that some might have come out of the assembly line with 70's windows. That's very interesting, thanks!

G

Hi, Do you know whether anyone reproduces the metric speedometer face?? I've never seen one before. It would be handy here in Australia as we are metric also. Beautiful car, it'll be stunning when its finished

I unfortunately don't have an answer for you. I've got mph only, so I frequently have to test my quick mph-to-kph math skills :)

I unfortunately don't have an answer for you. I've got mph only, so I frequently have to test my quick mph-to-kph math skills :)

Sorry for the thread hijack! I'm pretty good on the math but my wife will have troubles if she has to drive (80's child). Mustangs of Melbourne here in oz do a metric decal for a 68 but I'm not sure if it will fit. I have heard Dakota Digital are releasing the VHX series in metric but my wallet needs to fatten up a bit first!!!

Thanks Guillaume, I will check it out

Edited by shaun071
added text

I brought her home yesterday. It's a really wonderful feeling. The reaction of my wife and kids makes it even better... This car is definitely part of the family!

The doors, hood, fenders and trunk lid have not been sprayed yet. But I already have lots to do with that shell back in the garage.

image_zps2a324de2.jpg

image_zps891bcfcb.jpg

image_zps22e0c886.jpg

image_zps82cbf7bd.jpg

image_zps9ecc8fc3.jpg

Edited by Guillaume69

Hi, Do you know whether anyone reproduces the metric speedometer face?? I've never seen one before. It would be handy here in Australia as we are metric also. Beautiful car, it'll be stunning when its finished

The Tachman can convert to km/h.

Guillaume69: That paint is gorgeous.:thumbup:

I am starting to put her back together today. That's very exciting! There's so much to do that I don't know where to start! More to follow...

Start with sound deadening and electrical harness ;)