Guillaume69

1969 GT Sportsroof

I took my 69 on vacation a few years ago ,up through Santa Rosa and up through Lake county where we camped out for a week .Had a blast driving through the country ,The area around Lake county is oak trees and just beautiful .The curvy roads was a kick in the but to drive .Any drive through the country is a good time . I have to get mine finished ...soon .

This shot is beautiful. That ass end on the 69 is just stunning!

I live about an hour from our local vineyard area. It's pretty easy to go for a cruise and drink some wine and eat some nice food for the day or weekend. Actually my avatar photo is from doing just that.

post-14389-0-76608000-1448570151.jpg

On 3.11.2015 at 6:17 AM, Guillaume69 said:

A couple more pics. Man, do I love this car!

post-37557-0-35041700-1446527663.jpg

I love this picture. It captures the essence of the '69 Mustangs. It just looks like it was built for speed, and it looks hungry with that open-mouth sharknose design. 

Keep them pictures coming, watching them gives me inspiration to get my car back on the road!

20 hours ago, fvike said:

I love this picture. It captures the essence of the '69 Mustangs. It just looks like it was built for speed, and it looks hungry with that open-mouth sharknose design. 

Exactly. Like some kind of apex Asphalt Predator... 

G

Hello fellow 69 brothers! Long time since I last posted about my 69.

It’s doing greater than ever with my last little mod. As a matter of fact, I finally took the time to mount those roller spring perches I had bought a year or so ago.

I went for a 300 miles trip this weekend and I couldn't be happier. With the rest on the front end  nicely rebuilt during during the restoration of the car, those actually make for an impressive feel on the road, even the rough back country ones. The front feels « light », steering (manual) is very accurate and last but not least:

NO MORE SQUEAKING!!

I am so impressed with these from Opentrackerracing that I will gradually convert the entire front end suspension to their roller product line: UCA, LCA. Pricey but man, what a feeling!

G

856A1976-F4CF-43B4-80A0-B9EE12F989CD.jpeg

F35482B3-71E2-45AC-944F-61639E2D9A02.jpeg

F33F8F11-910F-4BD7-96A1-79226B895D7D.jpeg

9EBBE741-FB55-4E15-9B90-2ECC707F9E36.jpeg

Guillaume69, I would put the bolts for the upper ball joint on top, nuts on bottom; in case nuts get loose and fall out, the bolts will stay. Also, +5 to +6 degrees of caster makes the car more stable. You need to modify UCA or get a modified UCA for more caster. I am going to write a DYI to modify the UCA for more caster soon.

Aslanefe,

Thanks for a great advice!

I’ll arrange that asap. I wonder why I did not see that myself...

The front end geometry is just amazing. Best I ever had on my car in 22 years. It was done by a local “front end voodoo wizard”, back where I was in NW FL. Vannoy’s Tires was the name of that shop. Done 3 years ago and still feels amazing. Car drives in a straight line, whatever the speed is.

I shouldn’t say this, but I hit 140 mph on the highway this weekend, to give the motor a little “shake” and get the pipes fresh and clean. Had a passenger with me who couldn’t believe we were that fast. Felt like 90-100, no more.

I also cleaned it today. First time I did the engine bay, since the car was restored (11k miles now).

God, I love that car!!

G

42775169-B6E6-4406-8DE8-EAEC6AF991B7.jpeg

Kudos G. With the length of this thread, I can't remember If you did the Arning/Shelby UCA 1" drop. If not, it's pretty much needed for a good handling car, and very easy to do. Happy motoring!

2 minutes ago, RPM said:

Kudos G. With the length of this thread, I can't remember If you did the Arning/Shelby UCA 1" drop. If not, it's pretty much needed for a good handling car, and very easy to do. Happy motoring!

Nope, RPM, no Arning drop on that 69. Never felt the need for it. A friend of mine just did it on his 68 Fastback. I’ll see how that feels.

6 minutes ago, 69ShelbyGT350H said:

Open Tracker (OT) roller perches, OT DYI Roller UCA kit w/boxing, OT DYI roller LCA kit w/boxing, Arning Drop, Prothan upper spring and strut rod bushings. TransAm lower tower dog bone brace. Hoping it will ride nice.  :-)

20151219_144801.jpg

My bet is that not only will it ride well, but it’ll do so for a long time as well. That’s what quality parts bring you: longevity!

Now I am jealous...

7 minutes ago, Guillaume69 said:

Aslanefe,

Thanks for a great advice!

I’ll arrange that asap. I wonder why I did not see that myself...

The front end geometry is just amazing. Best I ever had on my car in 22 years. It was done by a local “front end voodoo wizard”, back where I was in NW FL. Vannoy’s Tires was the name of that shop. Done 3 years ago and still feels amazing. Car drives in a straight line, whatever the speed is.

I shouldn’t say this, but I hit 140 mph on the highway this weekend, to give the motor a little “shake” and get the pipes fresh and clean. Had a passenger with me who couldn’t believe we were that fast. Felt like 90-100, no more.

I also cleaned it today. First time I did the engine bay, since the car was restored (11k miles now).

God, I love that car!!

G

42775169-B6E6-4406-8DE8-EAEC6AF991B7.jpeg

Miss mine very much. Seeing yours takes me back to my teens.

69GT_03.jpg

Photo taken in 1979. Mustang totaled by a Chevy truck doing 50mph that failed to yield right of way 1981.

Yeah, I had a taste of that kind of situation too. I was able to rescue the car, even though the insurance companies had other plans for it.

I fought hard and eventually won, but it’s a rough memory. I feel your pain!

It was a GT, wasn’t it? How old where you back then?

1 hour ago, Guillaume69 said:

Yeah, I had a taste of that kind of situation too. I was able to rescue the car, even though the insurance companies had other plans for it.

I fought hard and eventually won, but it’s a rough memory. I feel your pain!

It was a GT, wasn’t it? How old where you back then?

I was 18, officially my 2nd car but only by 1 week. Gulfstream Aqua, 351w 4bbl 4 speed close ratio top loader with an open 3.0 9". No PS, PB or AC. It was a driver! I bought it back from the insurance company, but everything was bent. Roof, floor, all 4 fenders. I stripped it and the mangled body went to the crusher. Might have done things differently today. I hate to see it gone but at least I got an upgrade. From there I purchased my 69 428CJ Mach 1. I sold it to a friend, hated to see that one go as well, but well, the 69 ShelbyGT350 was/is my dream car.

Edit: yes, it was a real GT. I even got the argent 14" rims, trim rings and GT caps for it.

tn_20180423_195731.jpg
View my GT350 build photo album by clicking on the image

Holy crap! Did you get hurt?

Your car was probably a twin sister  of mine, except for the color and a 2 barrel carb (H-code). GT, manual 4-speed toploader close ratio, 3.00 9’ rear end, no AC, no PS.

And it does make for a wonderful driver!

Today it has a 4 barrel 600 CFM Edel carb atop of a Weiand Stealth intake, and a mild cam. Still has its original Windsor heads, which tend to be somewhat restrictive, or so I feel. Still making 300+hp at the rear wheels, and plenty of torque!

And I too got the car with its original GT wheels. Sold them for Torque Trust 15 years ago. I should have kept them on shelf. Very stupid move...

G