Guillaume69

1969 GT Sportsroof

A friend of mine had rebuilt wrecked cars on the side since we were teenagers, I helped out off and on. In our experience if the insurance company declares it a total loss & you decide to keep the car they will simply deduct the value they believe is left in the car from the settlement & you keep the car with a clean title. If you accept the total loos & then decide to buy it back later then it will have a salvage title. Laws may be different in other states but in Iowa that was how it worked last I knew, moved away many years ago.

I do not think it will be totaled.

Good point!

So here is a question...How can they total it if you have an agreed upon value with your classic car insurance provider (i.e. Hagerty, Grundy, etc.)?  Couldn't you get your insurance provider to work on your behalf with USAA?  Obviously an adjuster can't treat these cars like normal cars. So what I'm saying is if you have it insured with your insurance company with an agreed upon value of $30k, and USAA wants to total it because the repairs come to 10k (all hypothetical) how is it even possible?  I would think your classic car insurance company would step in.

I am no longer with Hagerty's, as they wouldn't cover me on my road trips... I switched to Progressive, and the agreed value is $45,000. However, as you mentioned, I am dealing with USAA, because that's where the other driver is insured. The adjuster is a classic car guy. He knows what type of car this is and understands what level of restoration it went through last year and a half. Actually, he realized all this when I showed him the original (Emminger) invoice, the build sheets, showed him the VIN stamped on the block (you can see it when the car is on a lift), etc.

What's happening now is that the case has climbed one step up in the chain. Yesterday, the USAA Claims manager called me from Atlanta because he wants to see the car himself. He will drive down on Monday (6 hours!). He said they are "escalating on their side" to try to get the car fixed. That's all positive, I hope.

More to follow.

G

Holy crap! That just sucks. How did I miss this bs? It "sounds" like his carrier is stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing. I retired as an auto adjuster from my second career. I'll follow along here to check your progress. That damage shouldn't evev be close to a total loss. There are fewer GT's than Mach 1's. PM me if you have any questions. Good luck

So sorry to see what happened to your beautiful car. It's my single greatest fear when out driving mine, something I do a lot, averaging just over 6K miles a year. Hope your made whole and you're back on the road sooner than later. I'll be following closely.

I am no longer with Hagerty's, as they wouldn't cover me on my road trips... I switched to Progressive, and the agreed value is $45,000. However, as you mentioned, I am dealing with USAA, because that's where the other driver is insured. The adjuster is a classic car guy. He knows what type of car this is and understands what level of restoration it went through last year and a half. Actually, he realized all this when I showed him the original (Emminger) invoice, the build sheets, showed him the VIN stamped on the block (you can see it when the car is on a lift), etc.

What's happening now is that the case has climbed one step up in the chain. Yesterday, the USAA Claims manager called me from Atlanta because he wants to see the car himself. He will drive down on Monday (6 hours!). He said they are "escalating on their side" to try to get the car fixed. That's all positive, I hope.

More to follow.

G

Good deal.  I really hope they do the right thing here.

Insurance should give me "options" this coming Monday. And another week lost. Additionally, quotes from various local shops I am used to work with came super high. Way too high if you ask me.

You guys mentioned Rusty 428. Could anybody point me in his direction? Thanks in advance.

G

Not my thumbnails, by the way.

Will they give you anything?  From what I've seen Mike at the auto hobby shop does great work.  He has another shop off base but he's got a long wait list last I heard.

Declaring a car a total loss is someone's subjective opinion. You don't have to go thru their carrier, you can go thru yours. The last thing you want is to have a salvaged title on your car, it affects the value. If your car is valued at 45k, it can be repaired. Call me please, my second career was as an auto adjuster.

Bob 661-380-5964 PDT.

Not sure if they told you or not but looks like they took bids on the car behind your back.

http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/21645925

Car went for $21,600 therefore you should have the option to keep the vehicle for the declared value of $36,375 minus the high bid of $21,600.  Keep your car and get $14,775 cash to apply to the repairs sounds like your best bet.

Good Luck

Not sure if they told you or not but looks like they took bids on the car behind your back.

http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/21645925

Car went for $21,600 therefore you should have the option to keep the vehicle for the declared value of $36,375 minus the high bid of $21,600.  Keep your car and get $14,775 cash to apply to the repairs sounds like your best bet.

Good Luck

I can't beleive it! Bring the car back home!

Sorry guys, I will update you if / when things are settled, as the insurance company is probably monitoring this thread. I did give them the link hoping it would help them figure a decent value for the car.

One thing is for sure: I am not giving up on this car. Ever.

G