Guillaume69

1969 GT Sportsroof

As we were at it, the inside of the frame rails were soaked with rust encapsulator. Same with the A-pillars.

The cowl was intact and solid. No need to go in there! Trunk lid will be simply replaced.

Finally, both doors and pass. side B-pillar needed custom attention.

image_zps70318ca0.jpg

image_zpsd5cad40c.jpg

image_zpsa2fc62d6.jpg

image_zpsc108a9e4.jpg

image_zpsde1eb319.jpg

image_zpsc33c05dc.jpg

image_zpsfc75b031.jpg

image_zps14ba562c.jpg

image_zps1c068f04.jpg

image_zpsbcffb983.jpg

In the meantime, as both the front and rear ends were in really good shape, everything was sandblasted and powder coated. Very easy to put back stuff that had been there for a while before.

Of course, seals, bearings, dust boots and gaskets were replaced. The rear end was opened, cleaned and refurbished. I also replaced the drum brakes hardware. Looks very nice now.

Brake and fuel lines replaced. Brake hoses are all metal braided from Russell. More rigid and safe, IMO.

All in all, I must have spent over 100 hours standing in front of that sandblasting cabinet.

The original leaf springs were rebuilt with new shackles, bushings, etc. I put the 4 Koni Classics back, as they were in great shape.

image_zps104d3d4b.jpg

image_zpsb1603ab0.jpg

image_zpsce94a138.jpg

image_zps24e5c04d.jpg

image_zps3b8f7305.jpg

image_zpsa41231c5.jpg

image_zpsb90f81e1.jpg

Edited by Guillaume69

That's the beauty of it... Being able to use today's technology and materials to rebuild classic cars. I have always dreamed of owning a brand new 69 Mustang...

The engine now. 351W-2V. Took it apart to find out that it was in very good shape. Whoever broke it in did it very carefully. This power plant was babied. So the block was baked and cleaned. We still bored it 30 over to get the chambers nice and perfect. Stock heads were cleaned. Valves as well. Springs will be replaced. Crankshaft was in very good shape so just polished. And cam replaced by a roller cam from Howard Cams with greater lift than stock (.571 int / .577 exh). I can't wait to hear this!

I have decided to stay with my stock heads and 2-V intake. For now. 4-V aluminum intake, carb, and aluminum heads are of course in my mind. As of now, engine is waiting for new springs, push rods and rockers that will go in shortly before we put it back in the car.

image_zps1d92ef91.jpg

image_zps7f32cc8d.jpg

image_zps7a8a9394.jpg

image_zpsb237eb1e.jpg

image_zps1965ad8f.jpg

image_zpsafed59c3.jpg

image_zpsb1a49e33.jpg

image_zpsd2b6e96c.jpg

image_zps5e92660f.jpg

Edited by Guillaume69

While the car body was being taken care of (media blasting in July, body work Sept through November, and body prep December until now...) I kept myself busy with all the things I took apart.

Heater box: radiator and hoses had already been replaced, a year ago or so. I just got the foam kit and the rest was refurbished.

image_zps9d9bf97b.jpg

image_zpsdf525618.jpg

image_zpsa379fee7.jpg

image_zpsa8196f12.jpg

image_zps5a27fcc4.jpg

image_zps39fe005f.jpg

image_zps227e501f.jpg
image_zps70ea977c.jpg

image_zpsaa7d8b37.jpg

image_zpsd35baaba.jpg

Edited by Guillaume69

After a year or so of driving and and getting caught in the rain, cause I drive mine all over the place :) my 40+ year old wiper motor died.

So while you're in there you could put in a refurbished wiper motor from autozone and not have to take your car apart again in a year after swearing you'll never get caught in the rain ;)