Guillaume69

1969 GT Sportsroof

And the body left for the moment of truth: sand blasting! Got it done by pros, as I do not have the proper space to do it myself. And the Sudvision HOA would have probably not agreed... We are in July 2013. I waited 3 months for my turn.

image_zps6548a737.jpg

Edited by Guillaume69

Looked pretty sharp and solid at first glance. But then, we noticed a bunch of places that were crippled with 12-gauge pinholes (tail panel, wheel wells, doors, B-pillar, fender aprons, trunk frame, trunk lid...) and a few older repairs that didn't look very nice... Additionally, the torque boxes looked, well, "torqued", and the front frame rails had to undergo reconstructive surgery as well. The project is not a show car, but I want the car to be better than new and water tight, as I will keep driving it as I always have.

image_zps1f5d439e.jpg

So, spent a lot of time looking for donor panels. And the body work could start... Didn't do it myself, as I never welded before, and understand that aside from welding, when a car is on a rotisserie, there is, structurally speaking, a lot more than chopping stuff off and stick new metal instead. Need to be careful or the car will sag. I trusted a real pro to do that for me. There is a very specific order to proceed. And so we did. Thank God I could afford it...

image_zps486a4958.jpg

Yikes, got some work ahead of you eh? It's truly amazing what the bare shell looks like when completely stripped. I "thought" mine was pristine, until it was blasted clean. My hat's off to you. Good luck.

Bob

Yikes, got some work ahead of you eh? It's truly amazing what the bare shell looks like when completely stripped. I "thought" mine was pristine, until it was blasted clean. My hat's off to you. Good luck.

Bob

Thanks RPM. It is all done now. Took 3 months. Car is ready for paint! Should happen anytime now. And then back home to get it all back together.