Sign in to follow this  
waketek516

'03-04 Mach 1 engine in a '69-70

Anyone know if you can get the hood scoop from the motor to fit though the stock '69/70 hood.

Here's a photo I found of someone who did my swap:

mdmp-1303-01%2B1969-ford-mustang-mach-1%2Bengine-view-top.jpg

This guy also did it, but fabbed up some stupid (IMHO) metal work around the scoop.

http://www.legendarycollectorcars.com/2010/12/1969-mustang-mach-1-custom-by-larry-payne/

I'm hoping I can get it to work without having to do that, and wondering if anyone knows...:punk:

The X-Ray photo show a standard hood scoop, not a shaker scoop. If you look close you can see the blinker notches at the rear of the hood. You can also see the top of the intake.

I looked at Larry's car, in the other link you provided, and the Mach 1 motor with the shaker is much taller than the 4.6l engine.

Ford even had to put a rise in the hood of the 04 Mach 1 verses the GT. You can see the rise in the photo below.

371d2c35a54f0a7c54eda4b8f0b1b3bbx.jpg

You may want to get one the cowl hoods to give you enough clearance.

here is an example. I have seen them with any where from 2" to 5" of additional clearance.

MUH-35.gif

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=M108+01&Category=Body&subCategory=Hoods&SubSubCategory=Fiberglass%2FComposite&CatKey=EMUSTANG

Sounds like great project. You'll have to post photos as you build it.

I think if that "Larry" could have made the motor sit down low enough where he could have used the stock '69 hood he would have done so.

I agree in that I don't really care for the exact way he modded the '69 hood to fit the '04 4.6 DOHC & Shaker.

Maybe a more gradual buldge would look better, but what ever you do it appears that you need to get to his final elevation point to be able to close the hood !!

Doug

his hood mod is not the best looking It is pretty obvious from his pictures that the custom bubble he built