Sign in to follow this  
cavboy78

Boss Stripes?

I am deploying to Afghanistan here shortly and sent my car down to Florida to have paint and body done by a family friend while I am gone. I am not changing the color, which is currently Grabber Blue. It currently has the standard boss stripes without the verbiage on it. I'm not trying to make a clone, just want something I like. I have always been a huge fan of the old Follmer/Moore trans am cars.

While doing research I noticed that the regular Boss 302 stripes are different than the trans am cars. From what I have seen, the trans am stripes do not begin on the hood and come down the quarter panels. Instead they begin midway up the quarter panels and actually go down to the bottom of the door (a bit lower than the regular Boss). Anything else I am missing?

Lastly, should I get the stripes painted on or use the stickers? I can provide more car details if needed. I'll post up a current pic later tonight. Thanks.

Matt

Also, plan so far is some minor rust repair in the normal areas (lower door corners, behind rear tires, and corner of trunk lid), remove the antenna and mustang trunk letters and fill the holes. Also fill the holes from the (now removed) honeycomb panel on the rear.

I would get them painted and buried in clear myself. Getting ready to base my car currently. Hopefully will be taping out my boss stripes by the end of the week. I am going to base and then paint my stripes then clear so there are no seems/ridges when done. Also I won't have to worry about peeling stickers and whatnot, and my stripes are ghost so no stickers available....

First of all, I THANK you for your service!

I congratulate you on building the car the way you want it. Whether it is a restoration, modified or anything in between, I subscribe to the position of building one's car the way YOU want it.

That having been said (if it was me), I would paint the stripes.

BT

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will go with the trans am style stripes (minus the words) and will have them painted. Clear over satin finish for the stripes I assume? Don't want the glossy look, although the clear will make them somewhat glossy I imagine.

Thanks for the feedback and insight. I feel like I've touched every nut and bolt on this car (minus the interior) and am pretty happy with how its gone and learned a lot in the process. I think I will leave the rust repair and paint to the professionals though and will have something to look forward to when I get back next year! Time and internet permitting while deployed, I will try to put together a build thread documenting the last 7 years of work!

Wookie, paint looks great! I love me some grabber blue.