Sign in to follow this  
jgkurz

Speedometer cable stuck in Speedo

Hi All,

I have a couple questions regarding my recently purchased 1969 Mach1. I decided to pull out the dash to make some wiring and heater repairs. While the dash is out I'm going to send the tach and clock into the Tachman.

1) I removed the white collar of speedo cable from the back of the speedometer. Strangley the center cable will not come out of the speedo. I assume this is not normal. Do I just pull it out with brute force or is there a trick?

2) The Tachman is going to repair my clock and tach. I think I'll also have him do the 3-wire conversion on the tach. I read his site and it looks like the work he does on speedos is just cosmetic. If the speedo looks good and works is there any reason to also send in the speedo?

Thank you,

John

Once the white plastic clip is unclipped and slid away from the gauge, it is just a matter of removing it, with a little application of force as necessary. It is a slip fit into the gauge.

The drive shaft is square, so it may be binding or twisted. Put the transmission in to neutral and roll the car back a little to take some strain off the speedo drive

I have sent my gauges to tachman before and he does a great job mechanically and cosmetically. If you are sure your speedo (and odometer) is working correctly and looks good, you don't need to send it.

Once the white plastic clip is unclipped and slid away from the gauge, it is just a matter of removing it, with a little application of force as necessary. It is a slip fit into the gauge.

The drive shaft is square, so it may be binding or twisted. Put the transmission in to neutral and roll the car back a little to take some strain off the speedo drive

I have sent my gauges to tachman before and he does a great job mechanically and cosmetically. If you are sure your speedo (and odometer) is working correctly and looks good, you don't need to send it.

Thanks everyone. I had to use pliers but the core cable popped right out once I used a bit more force. My new Speedo cable will arrive this week.

I may have the Tachman look over my speedometer just to make sure it's in good condition. I'd prefer to not take the dash apart a second time.

-John