Sign in to follow this  
Kaspar

Change to EFI and if so which?

I'm thinking of installing an EFI in my '69.

First off is it worth it?

I'm kinda annoyed with the cold starts, the occasional back firing and would love to get better performance, power and milage.

If it is, then which should I choose? The Terminator, The E-Street, The EZ EFI, MSD? They're pretty much in the same $ range.

I've got a 302 2V with an Edelbrock Performer Top end kit running around 300 hp.

I'm looking at efi as well, most likely a 5.0 conversion and using mainly stock injection components (89-93 mustang or 90's australian Falcon) with an aftermarket wiring harness. The engine will be mostly stock just a mild cam and a bit more compression. Has anyone got any info and whether this would be any better than the aftermarket systems listed above? From a cost side I've figured it will be cheaper but you lose the "classic" look under bonnet. I'm not too worried about that as my car is a restomod. Any thoughts??

It really depends on how much $$$ you want to throw into a kit or piece one together..

Do you want something that looks slick and performs decent, something that gets the job done for cheap or something thats the middle of the road?

At one point i was kicking around the idea of a Fox body Mass air kit, then looked into Megasquirt and eventually looked into the MSD and Holley kit... I dont like the idea of spending 2500-4000 on a kit. You can get a Fox setup for far less than 1000 bucks but its not as "cool"

I'm not a mechanic or have the skills of one, so I was thinking it would save me some bucks, if I buy a kit that is pretty much bolt on.

I'd rather spend the money on the kit (which I'm able to install myself) than a mechanic.

I don't need it to look cool, but just perform as an EFI does.

What's a "Fox setup"? 'Cause if I could save a thousand bucks I'd prefer that!

Thanks.

Stay away from using the old factory systems...they are too much of a PITA to do unless you have parts laying around....By the time you get a computer, harness intake, injectors ETC.....You would be better off to buy one of the EFI bolt on TBI units....Plus you have to have the factory stuff tuned Etc....Not worth the hastle and cost is gonna be same as buying a TBI unit.

Here's a rough break down of the Fox set up and prices to get you going on a slightly modified motor...

You are going to need some aftermarket stuff if your motor is modded very much, but here are my cost figures.

Wiring harness and computer --$150.00 and you pull it....Dont thing you will get a fuel injector harness that doesn't need repairs

Upper and Lower intake Manifold USED Trick Flow or something as good....$250.00

Injectors---24lb new....$150.00-250.00

Fuel pump ---$150-200

Calibrated MAF for the injectors ---$200.00

Adjustable Regulator----$100.00

o2 Sensors ----50.00 ea---need 2 = $100.00

Exhaust modification o2 sensor bungs and welding...$50.00

Return fuel line and tank modification $100.00

There is more I'm not thinking of I'm sure

Tune $400.00-600.00

Total ==$1,400.00 to $1,800.00

Depending on what all you add or do...I am a new parts guy ...Have been finding out buying used is just a pain in the ass...

Mikestang, your figures are roughly what I was looking to pay here in Australia. The only advantage here is I can pick up a complete 99-02 Falcon for around $1000-1500 with a low mileage 5.0 thats factory fitted with GT40P heads, explorer manifold, 24lb injectors, matching MAF etc and 290hp stock. I have one of these in a 02 Falcon XR8 ute (ranchero) and it goes very well in a car that weighs 4000lb. In a light Mustang it should have enough for me!! I was looking at buying a new harness from summit for $499. I think for Kaspar the factory set up would be difficult if not impossible to do on the cheap as anything with a 5.0 won't be just lying around in wrecking yards in Denmark.

Thanks mikestang.

I'm definitely also a new part guy, but I'm also danish with limited part-options and very limited mechanic skills, so I think I'm gonna go with the Edelbrock E-street kit. Looks very much up my alley, though it's a little pricey. But I think in the end it'll be the set-up that'll save me time and money of hiring a real mechanic...

Thanks mikestang.

I'm definitely also a new part guy, but I'm also danish with limited part-options and very limited mechanic skills, so I think I'm gonna go with the Edelbrock E-street kit. Looks very much up my alley, though it's a little pricey. But I think in the end it'll be the set-up that'll save me time and money of hiring a real mechanic...

If I was to pick a system out for efi:

1)Pick a system that gives you the most support in your area. Since you have limited mechanic skills. Also good tech support in either the ways of forums and/or email.

2)If you have a tuner who hasn't tuned one, I would find out what ecu's he has tuned. I did this the hard way last year. Assuming that a tuner will be tuning it.