indianfiremach

'70 Grabber Orange Mach 1 Resto

Hi all! Happy to be back in the saddle again. I've been tied up working on a house project (gut renovation of a 60 year old house, fun!) and now that it's finishing up I'm happy to get back on the car with the goal of getting it running and driving. A few items left open:

Brakes (final assembled and bled today)

Power steering (hooked up, no fluid in the system yet)

Run heater hoses

Install rest of hydraulic clutch (transmission side)

Install driveshaft (used v6 explorer aluminum 4" driveshaft which is currently being shortened 1"

Start the car - from the key! I can turn it over with a remote start, but nothing from the key. Some troubleshooting to do.

Wish me luck, and I'll be back taking pictures soon. I will probably take the car to shop to have it started for the first time, check my work some, and install the exhaust. After over three years, I feel like I'm finally getting close. This car has gone from a beat up old '70 Mach 1 to little more than a roof and a bunch of boxes of parts, to a good looking paperweight that cost me all my money. Can't wait to drive it after all this. The TKO has really slowed me down, not sure that I would do it again. I'm far enough along now where I'll try and make it work. The driveline angles with my shaker and stock mounts has been an issue even with the streamlined TKO.

I spent yesterday putting the rear brakes on and routing the e-brake cables, and decided to fully install the hood latch today.

At some point in my car's life, the original shaker was stolen. I decided to go the extra mile on this one for security and install a locking hood latch from a 1978+ Bronco. It's a bolt-in replacement. I bought one with the latch, cable, and key on Ebay and installed it this morning. Looks / works great. Now I can only open the hood from inside the car, just like a modern car. I can also lock it though that's more to hold the latch tight. The handle has a nice vintage look and doesn't seem out of place at all. one small hole extra in the firewall was all I needed. 

Here's the latch:

330DEB40-114E-40EF-ABB8-E3E7ADDFF84B_zps

And here's the cable inside the car. Doesn't interfere with anything (including the column cover (which mounts to the left / and in front of it).

492E64E6-D9DD-4338-A2EB-6199DBFB9B37_zps

Dumb question kinda, do you know or think that Bronco latch would allow someone to get rid of the hood pins if they wanted to? I looked into it a few years ago and most feel these hoods need the pins, just in case.  I started to look into the latches like you have then moved onto something else.  

thanks

Thanks for the replies, now that I'm back working on it, I can't wait to have it running again. Hopefully by spring I'll have it moving under its own power.

The hood latch works ok, you do have to make sure it's latched all the way as the cable is a little stiff from being 40+ years old. It does not release until you pull the cable from inside and then pull the lever under the hood, so it's a two-step process. The line hits my clutch pedal now, so I'm having to relocate the lever over to the left hand side.

Hey......there is one thing I should mention, from a bad experience I had with a driveshaft mod. 

When I put the original T-5 in my 1968, I measured the driveshaft when the car was in the air, and had it cut.  I installed it with the car on jack stands, and I never re-checked it when I sat the car on the ground, other to peek underneath and take a see how it looked.  

What I did not realize is that the driveshaft was actually just slightly long (1/4" ish), and was bottomed out in the rear of the trans when the car sat on the ground.  So, it was essentially binding the whole time I drove the car.  I had occasionally noticed a high speed vibration, but was sure it was one of my rear wheels, and I chased that as the source.

I discovered this one day during an upshift when my front universal joint failed.  Luckily, due to the fact that the driveshaft was slightly long, the shaft did not drop and dig into the ground.  it kinda bounced around....

What it did do was violently shake the car, and it broke a mounting tab off of the transmission, messed up the rear transmission seal, and pretty much destroyed the bellhousing.    A near disaster.

So, my lesson learned is that the rear suspension geometry could be different when the car is in the air, versus when it is on the ground.  

So, when you set the car down, you should be able to at least rotate the driveshaft by hand and not feel any binding.

Maybe this is a unique experience that I had, but thought I would mention it.

So, now with a new bellhousing, T-5Z and  driveshaft, life is good......

Love the way you have resolved the height issue of your two post hoist, I am looking into hoists at the moment and it looks like I will have to go with a floor ramp because of height issues.

I decided to go the extra mile on this one for security and install a locking hood latch from a 1978+ Bronco. It's a bolt-in replacement. I bought one with the latch, cable, and key on Ebay and installed it this morning. Looks / works great. Now I can only open the hood from inside the car, just like a modern car. I can also lock it though that's more to hold the latch tight. The handle has a nice vintage look and doesn't seem out of place at all. one small hole extra in the firewall was all I needed. 

Does anyone know if this will work for a '69 as well? I've been looking for a locking latch/remote release option that doesn't require much fabrication. Is the Bronco the only vehicle that had this?

Another day of progress, but couldn't get spark from the coil to the distributor so I have some more troubleshooting to do. So close I hate to walk away from it! Also...

Put gas in the gas tank (leak at fuel pump, replaced)

Put power steering fluid in the system (leak at new ram, tightened bolts)

Changed the oil (leaked out of drain plug, tightened)

Filled TKO (GM synchromesh, no leaks)

Filled radiator

Haven't found any antifreeze or brake fluid yet, but when you work on a project for 3 years, replace everything with a mix of good used, rebuilt, NOS, and new parts, you're bound to have a lot of little puddles to clean up. 

Drove the car for the first time.The car hasn't seen sunlight in over a year so it was nice to get it out and take some pictures. It's now ready to put on a trailer and take to the exhaust shop. Great feeling!

IMG_1095_zpslwyx3plt.jpg

IMG_1096_zps8iys3y5n.jpg

Original shifter handle & arm bolted to the TKO-600 shifter. Seems to be a good fit. Too bad they don't make a 5-speed pattern T-handle. 

IMG_1103_zpsrtmfacx5.jpg

Some progress this weekend! Got a plate for the car, alignment, and exhaust installed. The exhaust is a magnaflow SS kit, which was really nice. Tips are polished stainless versions of the originals. The Sanderson FC4 headers look great but DO NOT work well with power steering. The DS dumps right where the PS ram is. We got it to work but I wouldn't recommend using those headers with the stock power steering system. It will get timed this week and then back to the body shop for a final panel alignment and putting the decklid stripe on.

IMG_1114_zps731gvxcc.jpg

IMG_1115_zpslqil67gc.jpg

I just went through your four year old build today in about 45 minutes worth of reading. Wish they went together that quick! Awesome beautiful car and enjoyed watching it come together. Love the Grabber colors. Will it be a keeper for you?

Back in my HS days I had a buddy that had a Grabber Orange 70 Mach, 351 W 2v auto car. It had the same factory wheel covers that you put on your car. I watched him one day, not long after acquiring it,  take a lug wrench to one of the supposed lug nuts. That little incident not only destroyed the wheel cover but gave him a few stiches in his forehead. He proudly displays them to this day.

Thanks for posting your build!

Thanks for the nice comments. No one better put a lug wrench to these, they were NOS! Not many nice ones left. I'll keep this one. My first car was supposed to be a '70 Mach 1, and I though it was the coolest thing going. However we found out it was too rusty to save. After some other classics and older Mustangs, I found this one and fell in love with what it once was and what it could be.