indianfiremach

'70 Grabber Orange Mach 1 Resto

Chasing down gremlins.. The starter has been staying engaged when the car is running, the battery has been running down, and the car won't shut off when you turn the key. Fun! Since putting the column in the car, I've not been able to get it into accessory mode. All of these problems were related. My ignition swtich was off a tooth causing the keyed positions not to line up. I disassembled the column and moved the ignition tumbler a tooth over and now all of the positions work as intented.  

I'm hoping once the column is back in the car that my starting / running / battery drain issues will be over. I'm hearing a tick when the car is running, which I'm hoping is a stuck lifter from the engine sitting and not running during the restoration.

Will keep the updates coming! Still hoping for some time on the road this spring.

Woah, sorry you ran into so many problems... Hope they're all fixed now. Or, at least, partially. Can't wait for some more updates from you! Keep up the good work, my friend!

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:30 AM, connery said:

Woah, sorry you ran into so many problems... Hope they're all fixed now. Or, at least, partially. Can't wait for some more updates from you! Keep up the good work, my friend!

Thanks for the message. I've been able to get the car running have put almost 100 miles on it. It also shuts off now after replacing the ignition switch with a new one and splicing the plug. I now have a noise at a certain RPM to track down, but other than that, things are going well. I'll have to take some more photos of it after work now that it's more together. It's headed back to the painters this weekend for final panel alignment and adding the decklid stripe / emblem. Then I'll install the engine bay AC components and get it charged. It's getting hot out here in the south!  

067F5E5F-9C0F-44F8-B5E5-4B58FE595F0F_zps

7EA49A46-1E73-463C-8890-0DEAD4E42E94_zps

Some twilight pics from my drive last night. It's a great feeling that even with the gremlins I'm chasing that I can still take it out and enjoy it some. Looking forward to getting them settled and taking the car to shows, though I missed the spring / early summer show season for the most part. Definitely can't rush this build. Not enough hours in the day or dollars in my pocket to do that!

Wow, has it really been June since I did an update? Time flies. I took the car to its first show this past weekend with the Carolina Regional Mustang Club. I entered it as display only, I still have some engine bay detailing to do before I'd let a judge near it. But the car made it there and back with no issues (thanks to a new 9" 3.70 TL rear end I buttoned up at 9:00 the night before!)

Was able to enjoy the first show and beautiful NC weather with Vic and my father, Jim in the red shirt. My dad and I have been wrenching on cars for 16 years together, it's a great feeling to get one across the finish line. They're never done, but this one is finally getting there. Thanks to everyone's help and input on here over the 4 years this has taken.

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

Was able to take a day off and spend a long weekend in the shop. While the outside of the car is done, a lot of items under the hood needed to be finalized.

• Replaced grill - broke a tab installing the last one
  • Repainted core support / front of engine
  • Installed temp sender with direct line to Shelby /console gauge pod instead of in-dash gauge
  • Installed AC condensor
  • Repainted hood latch from cast to black so you don't see it through the grill
  • Relocated coil to PS intake manifold, ran new tachometer and Pertronix wires
  • Attempted install of Sanden compressor....

I ran into troubles with the Vintage Air Sanden conversion bracket. It could have been my error, but the compressor sits too far forward or too far back depending on how I mount it. I compared it to two other brackets on our other cars, and it was slightly different. I ordered a new bracket that should be in this week.

I'm hoping to have the car 'done' before the end of the year, and then work on detailing it in the Spring in time to take it to some shows. Thanks to all on here for their  advice and encouragement over the past few years.

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

17 hours ago, stangnet33 said:

The turned out spectacular ! This was one of my favorite threads to follow. Great job Jason. 

Thanks. The knowledge and community here on the forum kept me going / inspired in what has been by far the hardest build I've done. I almost sent it out to a restoration shop to finish when I hit a wall, but ended up taking it one step at a time, even when some says I left more steps behind than when I started!

7 hours ago, indianfiremach said:

Thanks. The knowledge and community here on the forum kept me going / inspired in what has been by far the hardest build I've done. I almost sent it out to a restoration shop to finish when I hit a wall, but ended up taking it one step at a time, even when some says I left more steps behind than when I started!

I couldn't agree more. The support and encouragement from members of this form has been fantastic. And love your work.