indianfiremach

'70 Grabber Orange Mach 1 Resto

Looks good ! So 4 barrel heads being a four bolt main ?

Thanks - and yes, 4 barrel heads and 4 bolt mains. The block is a D2AE-CA, which is a CJ block. It's a little later than the car but has been rebuilt with some very nice parts so I'm going to use it in my car.

Edited by indianfiremach

Sorry to dig this thread up but what do you guys use to clean your cladding? Indian I know yours is freshly restored but I was curious what everyone uses.

I media blasted/ primed mine and then sanded down the primer. I think lacquer thinner works well as long as you're planning on repainting them.

It's been a long time since I posted an update - while my car has been waiting in line at the body shop, I've finished restoring a 1952 Eska small 60 pedal tractor, mostly finished detailing the 351 cleveland, detailed the other 351 cleveland (which I'll sell), put a new interior in the '70 Corvette, and also filled the Mach's space in the garage with a '69 Mach 1 "s code" 4 speed car. Certainly been busy!

New '69 (will likely sell):

photo3_zps6b2c9b71.jpg

Finished up the dash/seats/ interior of the 'Vette:

IMG_3801_zps17d0acfd.jpg

1970 D0AE-J 351c 4v motor:

IMG_3891_zps0567a5dd.jpg

Just didn't want you guys to think I haven't been busy!

Ok, out with the T5z, in with the TKO 600! I think the t5z would have been plenty but I picked up the like new tko and all the conversion parts for a great price (far less than even a t5z alone costs) so I couldn't pass it up. Hopefully it will fit ok and work with the shaker.

9adbdcf4d80894cb813ad71abc52e341_zpsbfc27aa1.jpg

I used the black lacquer paint from NPD, pricey at $12/can but it looks good. I media blasted the dash first with a softer media to remove the paint and preserve the grain. I got the fold down carpet from CJ Pony Parts, it's the same ACC kit everyone else sells. It pays to let it dry first and trim the carpet almost exactly to fit so it doesn't bunch up when you put the trim on.

Progress, besides blasting/ painting a bunch of the literally infinite number of pieces for this car...

Seats redone with TMI covers. Had originally purchased Distinctive industries covers and returned them. It was like they have never seen a Mach 1 seat cover before and the comfortweave was WAY off in both color and texture.

image1_zps33aa0c3a.jpeg

New Mustang Market door panels. Would probably go with TMI next time since installing the beltline W/S is a pain and it comes already attached to the TMI door panels. That said, these are of great quality and appearance. I still have to cut them for the door speakers.

image_zps702c6846.jpeg

Edited by indianfiremach

Getting a good start on the interior ! Do you need a dash pad for it (especially after all your detail work on the lower) ? I had to look at your marti report again, it is a nicely optioned car. Don't think I've heard of those door panels before, but then I haven't researched them in awhile. I see you chose the stock seat covers vs the beefed up bolster ones, seems I can never decide on which ones. What did you ever find under all that spray foam on the rear wheel well area ? Always look forward to your updates :thumbup1:

Getting a good start on the interior ! Do you need a dash pad for it (especially after all your detail work on the lower) ? I had to look at your marti report again, it is a nicely optioned car. Don't think I've heard of those door panels before, but then I haven't researched them in awhile. I see you chose the stock seat covers vs the beefed up bolster ones, seems I can never decide on which ones. What did you ever find under all that spray foam on the rear wheel well area ? Always look forward to your updates :thumbup1:

Dash pad has been replaced with a new Ford tooling one. Can't wait for the car to get back so I can get these parts back on it. May be in October/November timeframe. I'll consider myself lucky if it gets back before Christmas.

The marti report / color / options are definitely what drew me to this car. Had to be something, because with the shape the body was in on this car, it just about met the crusher.

The new seats look great and are pretty close to the original - I will say for now they are a little hard. I've sat in the seats with the bolsters and they're nice (just as hard) and I was tempted to get those. But this car, outside of the transmission and rear end, will be original down to the hubcaps - at least until I change my mind and put magnums on.

Uh , it feels so long ago that I was scraping away that foam insulation.. Bad memories... But underneath it was surprisingly solid outside of some quarter sized holes in the outer wheelhouses. Since I'm doing full quarters though, they will be replaced anyway. Sometimes I feel like I'm building up a dynacorn shell, but I'm glad I'm able to retain as much of the original car as possible, while still having a car that's free of rust and straight.

Uh , it feels so long ago that I was scraping away that foam insulation.. Bad memories... But underneath it was surprisingly solid outside of some quarter sized holes in the outer wheelhouses. Since I'm doing full quarters though, they will be replaced anyway. Sometimes I feel like I'm building up a dynacorn shell, but I'm glad I'm able to retain as much of the original car as possible, while still having a car that's free of rust and straight.

Thats kinda amazing, usually when you see that stuff it's hiding something ugly. I will try to only draw good memories for the next questions lol :shifty:

Progress! Engine bay before and after. The front end of this car was a total mess. Makes a figure eight look like a straight line... Anyway, a LOT has been replaced and straightened and it's all within spec now. Caution, these photos are graphic in nature!

photo52_zpsbfec1aba.jpg

photo214_zpsdba73f64.jpg

photo43_zps349ae1ba.jpg

After:

photo115_zps5a3eee06.jpg

photo36_zps11e406da.jpg

photo114_zps6136d094.jpg

photo213_zpsae07b005.jpg

I can't wait to see it painted black and the rebuilt 351c / shaker sitting in there.

Update - car actually looks like a car again! After all of the challenges this car has presented to myself, my body guys, and my pocketbook, I'm very pleased to see it come this far. Can't wait for the next steps. The car will have the rest of its bodywork and fitment done in the garage and then taken to a professional paintbooth for final paint.

photo219_zpsc4d852ae.jpg

photo53_zps13283a2f.jpg

image4_zpsb4263955.jpeg

photo10_zps4aea183d.jpg