Sign in to follow this  
Flanders

garage lift

Anybody with a garage lift? I'm looking to get a 4-post lift. My 9' ceilings don't give me a lot of lift, but just getting the car a few feet off the ground would be spectacular.

I'd like to gather some opinions on brand (Dannmar, or Bendpak?) and sizes that work for a '69 Mustang. I'm scouring the garagejournal.com forums, but thought folks here would have better opinions on sizing for 'stangs.

I like bendpak...My cousin has one........they have a great choice of lifts.....narrow, wide, standard lift height, extra lift height...excellent quality........they are the ones I'm going with.....

.geeze they should give me a discount for this type of review.

hahaha :D thanks for the feedback.

I *just* pulled the trigger on a Dannmar MaxJax. Considering it's $2k shipped (Cdn$) at Costco, and it'll give me ample room and flexibility, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Option number 2 was a Bendpak 4-post lift. However, it's more than double the cost of the MaxJax (shipped to me) and the thought of having to still jack the car up if I want to take the wheels off were the reasons I went with the smaller 2-post lift.

I have a Bendpak HD-9 Wide and am very happy with it...

DSC00200_zpsa34a2c3e.jpgDSC00190_zpse0b2fd76.jpg

that beam is 10.5', and yes I had to raise the door to the ceiling. Thinking about getting another lift and if I do, I will raise the door myself as there are kits on the web for ~$200. It's not that hard.

DSC00200_zpsa34a2c3e.jpg.html

Edited by MAD IN NC

I always wanted a lift, finally built a building big enough to put one in. I went a little overboard (imagine that) and bought a Forward 10,000# lift, made in USA. Quite a bit more than a Bendpac, but I will hopefully use it a lot, and attempt to wear it out. It picks up my F-350 6.0L with ease.

IMG_20131109_184229_zps353e077b.jpg

Mad in NC-

What made you go with the bendbac "wide"? I am leaning that way as well since the standard lifts have such tight clearances between the posts.

Was wondering what your experience has been.

The Ford GT is the reason. Car has "hips" and is ~77" wide. Also a 73' Eldorado that is 18'9" long with dry weight of 5,115#'s

The standard width Bendpack is 90" inside - 110" outside... leaving ~6" of error when I have to back up which I am literally blind with the FGT. Additionally it's listed as post to post "inside" as the width. It does not take into account at the ramp level the 45 degree bracket for the air lock. That lift width at the ramp level with the FGT had other owners trimming back the 45 degree pieces of metal that are right up to the platforms as the tires "pooch" out and ran over the top of the ends. You literally loose 4" each side at the ramp level meaning it would be like threading a needle with less than a 2" margin of error for the FGT- not for me.

The "wide" Bendpack is 110" inside giving me comfort and a margin of error I can live with as when I park the car there is nobody to guide me in when I back in....

Also when I researched it while made in China is ANSI certified. It also uses air locks meaning the compressor has to be connected - consider a "fail safe" versus just pulling the safety lever. Also went with the rolling jack - can lift either the front or rear of any car/ truck and have access like a 2 post but can store a car compared to a 2 post where I have to crawl under on my knees to move the arms and worrying about suspension issues from hanging wheels.

I've had all my toys on the lift and my DD being a F-150 and never had any issues of backing in due to the 20" difference.... I'm glad I went with it! 4 years now holding a car, up and down 00's of times and not a single issue to date!

BTW - Bendpack does offer a 110vac option - if you need it MAKE SURE IT IS ORDERED THAT WAY ($0 cost)... it is slower vs the standard 220vac, but just as fast as all other 4 posts operating on 110VAC

Edited by MAD IN NC
power options

I bought a BendPac 7500 pound wide two-post asymmetric lift back in 2002. It's been great. The wide posts allow the doors to open a bit wider, and maneuvering room between the two arms and the car should you want to do that.