Footcutter

69 Fastback project

Looking really good.

Are you solid mounting the motor to the frame. Or is the some wiggle room in the exhaust that I am not seeing.

I had really tight clearance on my exhaust near the transmission mount. After about 2 Months of driving it. The bolts holding the flange from the header to the pipes Loosened themselves up and wobbled out the holes. It took me forever to figure out what caused it. I found it because the exhaust pipe rubbed all of the paint off of my transmission mount. I had to cut a notch into my transmission mount so that the exhaust was not hitting during heavy acceleration. Plus it got rid of the vibration that I spent forever trying to track down.

11 hours ago, Silver_69_Coupe said:

Looking really good.

Are you solid mounting the motor to the frame. Or is the some wiggle room in the exhaust that I am not seeing.

I had really tight clearance on my exhaust near the transmission mount. After about 2 Months of driving it. The bolts holding the flange from the header to the pipes Loosened themselves up and wobbled out the holes. It took me forever to figure out what caused it. I found it because the exhaust pipe rubbed all of the paint off of my transmission mount. I had to cut a notch into my transmission mount so that the exhaust was not hitting during heavy acceleration. Plus it got rid of the vibration that I spent forever trying to track down.

Thanks.  Engine mounts have large urethane bushings.  In addition, the headers will be supported with a bracket to help with the turbo weight, which was a mistake I had in Stage 1.  Headers leaked like a sieve.  The entire exhaust is bushed, but held tight enough not to bang on the frame hole.  I may use a flex pipe on the turbo connection since there will be some interesting pluming from the turbo outlet to the main exhaust.  Stay tuned.  I am about to cut out all the unibody frame, firewall, and floor. Also, the turbos will need to be removed to pull the transmission.

Looking forward to see how you fit the body to the frame. Excellent work.

I wish I had the time to do something like this. I am just way to far along in my car to go back and do this.

My Next Project will more than likely be a 67 - 72 Chevy pickup. Unless I find a 69 fastback or 69 Firebird to build.

I should really finish my interior before I take on another project.

Very interesting project you have here Footcutter, I look forward to your updates everyday but I do have a question for you- where the rear chassis rails mount to the main chassis the load is all taken by just the two welds, do you think you need any additional bracing similar to this one made by The Roadster Shop.

Picture-11650.jpg

4 hours ago, JET 445 said:

Very interesting project you have here Footcutter, I look forward to your updates everyday but I do have a question for you- where the rear chassis rails mount to the main chassis the load is all taken by just the two welds, do you think you need any additional bracing similar to this one made by The Roadster Shop.

Picture-11650.jpg

Good question.  The answer is yes.  They will be reinforced with gussets and fish plates.  I will be doing that after mock up is finished. In addition, I am using 2x4 box tubing, not 2x3, which gives extra strength.

I would imagine you are also going to install a full welded in roll cage which will add enormously to the strength of the chassis. You may also be interested to see the 69 that the Roadster Shop built, very similar to yours, a 69 body on a custom chassis, go to their web site and look at " Jeff's 69 Mustang" .

5 hours ago, JET 445 said:

I would imagine you are also going to install a full welded in roll cage which will add enormously to the strength of the chassis. You may also be interested to see the 69 that the Roadster Shop built, very similar to yours, a 69 body on a custom chassis, go to their web site and look at " Jeff's 69 Mustang" .

6 point.  It is what will tie the body to the frame.