Footcutter

69 Fastback project

2 hours ago, RPM said:

I don't see a roll bar or cage in any of those photos.

At the front of section 25 there are details on frames. I was told the spec is 2x3 Mild steel tubing minimum thickness of .120.

Personally i don't drag race, but know a few racers. I hear the frustration they go through when getting too fast with the wrong setup.

One of the guys did this with a Mustang 2 and ran an 8.36. At the far end of the track the frame was broken in 3 spots and the car was all twisted up. He got booted until he rebuilt it to SFI specs. He dialed in a 10.1 so he would not have to meet the specs. Luckily the only thing he hurt was the car. He had to do some major sweet talking in order to not get kicked off of the track permanently.

My point is that if you are going to run at the strip you might want to make sure you don't get booted due to specifications. At the track here you have to get a chassis certification if you run under 10. And you will have to have a 6 point roll bar.

5 minutes ago, Silver_69_Coupe said:

How difficult was the welder series to install? I have been giving serious thought to either doing this or strut type suspension. I am sure it will be a little different since you are full frame but i am curios to know if you ran into and issues with it?

I did it for the original 69 frame.  Worked great, and was very easy to install.  

1 minute ago, Footcutter11 said:

I did it for the original 69 frame.  Worked great, and was very easy to install.  

How much difference did it make on how steering and suspension felt. Was it worth the improvements?

I like the way mine corners but it feels kinda squirrley on light cornering and has quite a bit of bump steer.

What about wheel fit. Was it good or did you have to do anything special?

1 minute ago, Silver_69_Coupe said:

How much difference did it make on how steering and suspension felt. Was it worth the improvements?

I like the way mine corners but it feels kinda squirrley on light cornering and has quite a bit of bump steer.

What about wheel fit. Was it good or did you have to do anything special?

It was huge.  But I also did a triangulated 4 link in the rear.  It stuck to the road like a modern car.  Before I upgraded the brakes, I had 15" magnum 500s, and cooper cobra rubber.  I also dropped the whole car by 2", drop spindles are a must.

I was thinking a parallel 4 link with coil overs in the rear and Mustang 2 for the front.

What are the pros and cons of the triangulated over the parallel 4 link setup?

I am currently dropped about 2.5 inches on the front and 1inch on the back. If I drop the back any more my headers will touch the ground. I have a custom built rack and pinion conversion similar to the steeroids one. it works good but parking sucks. Turn radius is way to short for a sharp corner when parking. Bet it is great for hard street cornering.

9 hours ago, Silver_69_Coupe said:

I was thinking a parallel 4 link with coil overs in the rear and Mustang 2 for the front.

What are the pros and cons of the triangulated over the parallel 4 link setup?

I am currently dropped about 2.5 inches on the front and 1inch on the back. If I drop the back any more my headers will touch the ground. I have a custom built rack and pinion conversion similar to the steeroids one. it works good but parking sucks. Turn radius is way to short for a sharp corner when parking. Bet it is great for hard street cornering.

Parallel as I understand it is for straight line launching, I could be wrong.  I had a manual rack, and it turned like a battleship at slow speeds.  I am going with a power rack on this iteration.  Sounds like you are as close to the weeds as possible!  :) 

3 minutes ago, Silver_69_Coupe said:

From what i could find with parallel you almost have to add a watts link help stabilize the rear for cornering.

Pretty darn low. Too Low. I need to move it up some.

M69-2.jpg

Beautiful!  I love the stance, mean...

11 hours ago, Silver_69_Coupe said:

At the front of section 25 there are details on frames. I was told the spec is 2x3 Mild steel tubing minimum thickness of .120.

Personally i don't drag race, but know a few racers. I hear the frustration they go through when getting too fast with the wrong setup.

One of the guys did this with a Mustang 2 and ran an 8.36. At the far end of the track the frame was broken in 3 spots and the car was all twisted up. He got booted until he rebuilt it to SFI specs. He dialed in a 10.1 so he would not have to meet the specs. Luckily the only thing he hurt was the car. He had to do some major sweet talking in order to not get kicked off of the track permanently.

My point is that if you are going to run at the strip you might want to make sure you don't get booted due to specifications. At the track here you have to get a chassis certification if you run under 10. And you will have to have a 6 point roll bar.

I am 2x4 tubing which has a geometrical advantage.  I am going to grind the surface welds for a clean look.  I beveled the connections, and left a small gap for a strong weld.  I will leave the inside corner welds, no need to grind those.  Compared to the original unibody, it will be very strong.

Mocking up the engine and turbo headers.  I think a mistake I made before was to only support the turbos with just the header flange.  No wonder I had exhaust leaks... duh...  Now I will support them at the front of the head and at the turbo itself.  Some of you very observant folks will look at the engine at go.."those are LS1 headers!" Well, your right.  They have better flow, and the bolts are not jammed right up next to the tube.  The new bolt holes are into the water jacket, but modern sealers will have no problem keeping the water in.

20170812_132407.jpg

20170812_132401.jpg

20170812_132357.jpg