Footcutter

69 Fastback project

I think wheels are the biggest styling change most people ever do to their car. Probably has a bigger impact on the look of the car than the paint color does (unless you go with something silly like purple or rainbow stripes). 

I'm a big fan of the old Magnums, but that's just me. The new ones you've posted there look pretty slick too, to be honest.

I think wheels are the biggest styling change most people ever do to their car. Probably has a bigger impact on the look of the car than the paint color does (unless you go with something silly like purple or rainbow stripes). 

I'm a big fan of the old Magnums, but that's just me. The new ones you've posted there look pretty slick too, to be honest.

Only difference between the pic and what I want is the silver part is black, with a small silver stripe.

post-43293-0-84792800-1447695482.jpg

Wow! Makes sense.

I read that is where most people go wrong with custom turbos; they use a standard flange which cannot support the weight, then warp the flange.  It is also important if you are running aluminum heads that the screws go in far enough, and locking fasteners (stage 8) are a must!

So I finally got sick and tired of fighting the F'in unibody, tired of repairing a crappy design.  The twin charged engine was twisting the frame even with connectors. Going with a purpose built frame from scratch.  The chassis is so much easier to work on.  Get to start with new steel, 2"x4" box tubing, and makes it easy in getting the suspension perfect.  More to come.

20170730_160521.jpg

20170731_192206.jpg

20170730_160530.jpg

20170730_160521.jpg

20170725_180534.jpg

Holy moly, this build keeps taking huge turns! I've wanted to frame a Mustang for 30 years. No slacking on the updates eh? Just noticed on your turbo flange post the small o.d. spacers for the limited space for washers trick. Ingenious!

3 hours ago, Footcutter11 said:

11GA  (~0.120").  Wanted to keep the frame to < 300lbs.

Just curious but why 1/8" instead of 3/16. Was it just for the weight savings.  I believe NHRA requires 3/16 for cars that run under 10.0 quarter mile times. And you are saving less 150 lbs by using the thinner tubing.

I may be wrong on this spec for NHRA.  A close friend that has been racing for 30 years told me not to use anything under 3/16 Tubing when building a frame, He said that if I want to run faster than 10's I would get kicked out with thinner tubing. 

I would be willing to bet you are running faster than that.

It is looking great.

Did you use a Mustang II IFS Kit for the front.

22 hours ago, RPM said:

Holy moly, this build keeps taking huge turns! I've wanted to frame a Mustang for 30 years. No slacking on the updates eh? Just noticed on your turbo flange post the small o.d. spacers for the limited space for washers trick. Ingenious!

Ya, I guess I had a vision to put it on a frame, then just wanted it on the road.  

16 hours ago, Silver_69_Coupe said:

I am correcting myself. It is under SFI Specifications Section 25. Mild steel rule is 0.120. Welds cannot be ground.

Thanks. Not planning on running at the track.  Just grudge nights.  Front is Welders Series Mustang II IFS.