Sign in to follow this  
JoelK

Paint color and advice

It's my first real post, so go easy on me. Hopefully I don't jack this up.

My '69 coupe is finally ready for paint after a lengthy process of getting rid of all the rust.

I'm leaning towards a dark grey/silver and I've been doing quite a bit of research and so far my favorite color is "Alloy" from the 2009 Mustangs (see attached pic). I was wondering if anyone out there had any pics of a 69 in a similar color. There are a lot of mustangs that are the Eleanor color, but I haven't seen very many in a dark grey.

My next decision to tackle will be stripe or no stripe and what color. The interior is going to be dark red and I was thinking dark red stripes might look good with the alloy grey. Maybe a single flat red stripe on the hood and trunk with flat red accents around the headlights and taillight pannel? Any thoughts?

My intent is to have a 69 that stands apart from the others without looking tacky or looking dated a few years from now. If I can't come up with a solid decision on the grey or stripe, I may just go with black. Not the most unique, but it's hard to go wrong with black.

I'm thinking of going with the late model factory gray color called sterling gray or I may do a matte gray. The stripe to go with it is dark blue super snake stripe. My interior is black

Took a look at your project. You've done a lot of great work and I look forward to the pics after paint.

I like the spoiler you used. I've been going back an fourth on that idea, but after seeing your pics I think I've made up my mind. It looks great.

It's my first real post, so go easy on me. Hopefully I don't jack this up.

My '69 coupe is finally ready for paint after a lengthy process of getting rid of all the rust.

I'm leaning towards a dark grey/silver and I've been doing quite a bit of research and so far my favorite color is "Alloy" from the 2009 Mustangs (see attached pic). I was wondering if anyone out there had any pics of a 69 in a similar color. There are a lot of mustangs that are the Eleanor color, but I haven't seen very many in a dark grey.

My next decision to tackle will be stripe or no stripe and what color. The interior is going to be dark red and I was thinking dark red stripes might look good with the alloy grey. Maybe a single flat red stripe on the hood and trunk with flat red accents around the headlights and taillight pannel? Any thoughts?

My intent is to have a 69 that stands apart from the others without looking tacky or looking dated a few years from now. If I can't come up with a solid decision on the grey or stripe, I may just go with black. Not the most unique, but it's hard to go wrong with black.

2013 Mustang Sterling Gray Metallic

Took a look at your project. You've done a lot of great work and I look forward to the pics after paint.

I like the spoiler you used. I've been going back an fourth on that idea, but after seeing your pics I think I've made up my mind. It looks great.

Thanks I really appreciate that. Money is tight right now so I'm pushed back on paint as of the moment. Plus I'm moving in a couple weeks so a lot going on. I hope to get it painted over winter or in the spring maybe. I hope to be on the road next summer!

Sheesh, another coupe owner. kidding, welcome to the forum. I think red and grey look very good together. As nice as that 09 Mustang looks in your pic, isn't it nice to have a car that's increasing in value unlike the newer stangs?

Bob

Sheesh, another coupe owner. kidding, welcome to the forum. I think red and grey look very good together. As nice as that 09 Mustang looks in your pic, isn't it nice to have a car that's increasing in value unlike the newer stangs?

Bob

Thanks for the welcome.

The new mustangs do look nice, but I agree, wouldn't trade my '69 for it any day!

Chelby-Ann-

Thanks for the pics. Just what I was looking for and it reenforces my decision to go with a dark grey. It looks great. The stripes also look good and give me a few ideas for my project.