Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

How do you stop gas fumes

While driving I keep smelling gas in the car. I have a new tank and a new rubber hose that goes in between the the tank and filler tube. Only thing I can thing of is putting 2 hose clamps on each end of the filler tube.

The flip up gas cap doesn't seal the best, could this be the problem.

What would you do?

Make sure the rubber hose between the filler neck and tank is on correctly. When I put mine on the rubber caught on the lip of the tank neck and doubled under to leave a gap. It was on the back side where I couldn't see it. Really strong gas smell untill I figured out what I did.

My lines are good and tight, no gas leaks anywheres. I'm thinking I need to double up on the hose clamps on the rubbehose between the filler hose and tank.

When I walk into the garage I sence a strong smell of gas. It might be coming from the 44 year old gas cap, the seal might be worn.

Unlike modern cars with EVAP systems, these cars were actually designed to vent to the atmosphere. So it's not uncommon to smell gas after being out on a hot summer day, for example. But they should vent only when needed, not all the time. So it could be a bad or worn out gas cap but you shouldn't smell fumes from the gas cap in the passenger compartment.

Tes, I agree. The only reason it MIGHT be coming in, is that I didn't install the folddown rear seat at the time. But, I'm thinking it should build up in the trunk area.

I was looking for suggestions and to see if others have the same concern.

I have an older flip up cap, thats the only possible place for it to seep, or maybe that I still need to install more hoses clamps on the filler tube. I guess process of elimination will tell.

Plumbers who work on your house always have a gas detector for sniffing out leaks in natural gas pipes. I wonder if one of those could detect gasoline vapors?

I don't think the vapors evaporating from your exhaust cap will cause that much of a smell. Would you smell this after the car sits in a garage for 2 days? 4 days? If you would not, then it is not coming from the tank. It is coming from some source that leaks only when there is pressure in the line. The only places with pressure is from the pump to carb.

What carburator do you have? How long has it been since a tune up? If you have a autolite or holley that has a vent hole on the fuel bowl, that will cause the gas smell. some original carbs had a charcoal canister that helped to lessen the smell. Or You could be boiling gas out of the carb if you dont have a carb/intake spacer. Or you could be running really rich.

I would check the tune of the carburator first.

I would also check you seals for the trunk and tail lights. I had a very bad gas smell in my car when driving (only with windows down)and I found that one of my tail lights was not tight so it did not seal. So with the windows down it created a vacuum to the trunk. I tightened the left tail light back up and now no smell at all. Hope you find yours!

There is an article somewhere here that tells how to use a standard gas cap under your flip down cap.

My friends 69 thats at the house has one.

Basically all you do is take your flip down cap off and drill the center stud on the inside and remove the spring and inside cover piece that seals the tank off, then just get a little screw on type cap and problem solved...At least this will remove the gas cap leaking from your list of culprits.

Or go to your local parts store and buy the bulk cork gasket, and cut out a new round gasket for the flip down cap out of it. The bulk gasket is located typically on the bottom shelf near the RTV and threadlocker.

You might also take off the rubber filler tube and inspect it for any rust flakes still stuck on the rubber or anything that may prevent it from getting a good seal.