Sign in to follow this  
mats j

69 Boss 429 clone

Hi all!

My name is Mats and i live in Sweden, and i am nuts about Mustangs :)

The story of this 69 Mach1 started 2003 when i got my hands on an emty body.

The ide was dragrase, fiberglas,rollerkage, lexanwindows..u name it.

Well that never hapends, Found nice doors, fenders, interior and the most original parts 4 a good $. the mustang went to be a restomod and road car

408W with a procharger 600B, 5 speed tremec, markwilliams crommolly chaft and 9" axel ,3" tubes, detroitlocker and MW stuff all the way.

To day the car is ready 4 paint and only the interior is left to install.

But...Some times u get crazy ideas and i have always dreamed about a Boss 429 but they are real expensive. then way not build a tribute car or a clone.

Now 10 years later i will strip the car down (2nd time) and do it all over, but this time with a Kaase Boss engine in it.

Most of the plane is still in the planing and i am just collecting parts, dont think i will start with the car until late 2014, got some other mustangs to deal with :)

Will put up pix from the begining and until to day what the project locks like.

Then i changed the bad metal, not much rost, most was deformed metal. the entire flor is still original..thank god fore califonia cars..

welded in chocktower reforsmens and a set of subframeconectors.

and some black paint under the car

Then it was time to get it on wheels :)

chassi not so exotic..620 springs in front and 5 leaf mid eye springs in rear, kyb gas shocks al around.

1" shelby moded upper arm.globalwest struts and a TCP man rack stering..

Areicanrasing TT2 wheels, 235 in front and 265 tires in back

Now little about the drivetrain.

Engine in the mustang is today a 408W eagelcrank and rods, ross pistons

customgring roller cam, worldproducts heads vic intake , a blowthrou carb. and a prochaarger 600b blower :)

Tranny is a TKO 5 speed tremec with hydoperated cluch

MW cromolly drivechaft

9" axel with 3" tubes 31sp N-house with MK suport and a detroitlocker

Axel is 65-66 mustang wide, 2" shorter then 67-70 mustang

Exhoust...Hocker coated 13/4 headers and magnaflow SS 3" system

Now little about the drivetrain.

Engine in the mustang is today a 408W eagelcrank and rods, ross pistons

customgring roller cam, worldproducts heads vic intake , a blowthrou carb. and a prochaarger 600b blower :)

Tranny is a TKO 5 speed tremec with hydoperated cluch

MW cromolly drivechaft

9" axel with 3" tubes 31sp N-house with MK suport and a detroitlocker

Axel is 65-66 mustang wide, 2" shorter then 67-70 mustang

Exhoust...Hocker coated 13/4 headers and magnaflow SS 3" system

Did the 3" Magnaflow exhaust bolt in without major fabrication? Did you have to modify anything (Shocks/suspension,axle,fuel tank...) to exit to the rear?

Did the 3" Magnaflow exhaust bolt in without major fabrication? Did you have to modify anything (Shocks/suspension,axle,fuel tank...) to exit to the rear?

Well, back to the rear axel no problem at all. no problem over the axel and ok cleranc fore shocks. driverside fitted nic close to the leafspring but passenger sid is pritty bad bended, fare from leafspring. nead to cut extend and weld that side. at that time i got a fuelcell in the trunk so dont know if i fits with original tank.

This time i will use originalgastank with inline fuelpump..only future will tell if it fitt ;)

This is how the car stands to day, more or less paint and interior left to do.

I have decided totake the car down, start over and to put a Boss 429 in it and do a Boss clone.

Remember the first car magazine i read..was 1989 and on the cover was a maroon 69 Boss 429.

I got most of the parts to get started to houl in the engine in the mustang but have not realy decided what to do with the front end.

Will talk about that later

Some pix on what i got so fare :)

When i desided to put the B9 engine in my 69 i know it was not just to drop it in..

I know all about the things Carcraft moded the front end to make it fit.

A god freind, 20 min drive from me, got a original 70 Boss 429.

Did some mesurements on his boss and finded out this betwen std mustang and the boss

Upper controarm dropped 1", from there and down almost the same wide betwen the shock towers. The diferent is just over the lowered controlarms.

A nother frend got a 69 cupe and just 4 fun i striped up the boss towers on his car.

How to do it

well. found some pic on a 67/68 mustang that got a B9 engine. the owner just cutted the towers down a bit to make it fit.

With a coilover spring i could cut in even more.

Also found that some one in USA are doing original Boss towers but the cost $5K

A lot of $ and u still got that stinky suspention, but cool to do a real clone

Mustnag 2 front end was a nother option. but i dont like that way. someting tells me that engine will sitt high. but the shocktowers will be long gone

Macpherson Strut Front Suspension. modern frontend like a new BMW.

Get rid of the upper controlarm but still nead the top of the shock towers. But u can cut them in real bad in the bottom.

I first desided to go the budget way. like the pic abow just cut the towers.

enginemount was some problems.

2 way to go here.

original Boss mount moves the engin 1,2" in front and a bit up.

this would give me more clerans fore the heaterfan and brakecylinder but i hade to get a new expensive crommollycaft and the waterpump maight hit the radiator. (boss 429 use a short pump)

oilpan maight hit the 1" swaybar as well.

I went fore another mounts, the same on the pic abow. this dont relocate the transmission, no nead of new drivechaft and i can use long waterpump.

Got, enginemounts, oilpan and the bellhousing to my tranny.

Atlest i now can drop the block in the car.

Headers is made from FPA and are 3Y style to fit a Boss 429, got the style fore rack and pinion streering.

when i got them i saw a problem, tube 2 and 4 will probely hit the shocktower even on a Original boss 429 mustang.

1st pic on the std Boss headers

2nd pic on the one i got

3rd pic headers monted in a fairlane, tube 2 and 4 maight be taght to mustang shocktowers

my 2nd option is the gatwayperformance Macpherson Strut Front Suspension and the notched Dynacorn shocktower. but that will be a $3k deal with std 11" brakes. But it will be a modern front end and this givs plenty of space around the engine.

I just have to wait and see how it will be. first nead to rebuild my garage and finish up a 65 cupe

Love your car, looks like great progress is being made. I noticed one of the pictures of the engine compartment, you can see the area where the fender mounts to the inner apron. It looks like you have something between the fender and the apron, just wondering what it was?

Bossed

Love your car, looks like great progress is being made. I noticed one of the pictures of the engine compartment, you can see the area where the fender mounts to the inner apron. It looks like you have something between the fender and the apron, just wondering what it was?

Bossed

well. i think u meen the paper, I put some paper under the fenders just to protect the black paint in enginbay. think i nead to take them of a cople of tims before they ar bolted down fore the last time.

my 65 cupe is done and sold. got $ to prossed with my 69.Still got some interior work and upgrades on my 65 converteble. But think i will start in a cuple of month.

Got the notched shoktowers from dynacorn so i think i now know what path i will go 4 the frontend