Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

How do you install inner door felt

I have a set of window felts or Cat Wiskers to install on a aftermarket deluxe door panel. I got the window felts in a weather strip package from Daniel Carpenter, it came with no instructions or staples.

So, how do you secure this to the top of the door panel. Please advise what exactly I will be needing.

Thanks!

I have replaced mine twice.

The first time: I just clamped the felt to the door then drilled holes for rivets.

The second time: I clamped the felt to the door(IIRC the felt had per drilled holes for the staples and they lined up with the original door holes or I may have used a pick and drill to make new holes for the staples) then I push the staple thru and bent them over.

I have a set of window felts or Cat Wiskers to install on a aftermarket deluxe door panel. I got the window felts in a weather strip package from Daniel Carpenter, it came with no instructions or staples.

So, how do you secure this to the top of the door panel. Please advise what exactly I will be needing.

Thanks!

I purchased a set of window felts for my car from Kentucky Mustang but they were also Daniel Carpenter and they came with the staples, You may want to check with vendor .

It's weird looking how it goes on. Since I've never seen it installed, I assume that the chrome edge faces inside and the felt, shaped in a U is sticking upright facing the window. IMO, that's a lot of felt sticking out.

The strips look about an 1" too long. I was playing around with it for fitment and it looks like the strip sticks past the door panel more on the front side, facing the front of the car. I did find a tiny pack of staples stuck to the inside of the box, I will try those first.

Staples is the correct method that was used at the factory and that most aftermarket beltline w/s kits come with. If yours didn't come with staples, I'd be contacting the vendor you purchased them from and ask why.

Here is a picture of someone drilling the holes for the staples: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0911_how_to_restore_weatherstrip/photo_24.html

Fastback doors. The inner window felts are 39 & 3/4" long. The outer piece is 42 & 3/4" long. The shiny metal strip rest on the int. door panel. No shiny trim on the ext. door. The felts on my car are riveted and I prefer it to the staples. Much tighter fit and much easier to do. I am sure the other fellas will agree that drilling the holes is not precise, bending these staples is sloppy and not a tight fit. Very small rivets about 1/4" Brian

When working on the door felt today, I kinda got a little pissed off and called it quits.

Why!!!! because it seemed that everything I touched didn't work out right, It was one of those days you just throw in the towel.

Since I found the staples, I gave it a try. IMO, if you don't have a special tool (if they make one) to install these staples your gonna whined up botching things. Drilling the holes and placing the staples in is easy, but when you have to bend them over, it's almost impossible. So forget the staples, I went to Home Depot to get a set of 1/8 rivets. After 3 attempts, I concluded that the shank needed to be a little longer, it just wasn't catching the other end of the door panel. By this time the felt was a little bent out of shape from the vise grips and trying to pull out the last 3 failed rivets.

The Door paels that I have are aftermarket and have been painted by someone else. Ever since I had these panels, I've had trouble with paint flaking, the holes for the tabs were not in the right spot and the area near the door handle and where the felt strip goes is starting to peel back, so I'm just gonna unload them and buy a set that doesn't need painting and already has the window felt strip attached. I'm already eyeing a set on MustangMarket.

Kudos to the ones who already installed the felt!

Just got an email back from MustangMarket, regarding if the panels come with the felt already installed.

"no but the price is lowest on market 284 and the highest quality. THese have a metal cap to hold over door which prevents warping and are soft to touch vs the hard bricks. We make them in our factory"

It looks like I'll have to take another stab at it. For those who used rivets, what length was the head on your rivet?

Was a little calmer today and went at the door felt. I bought longer rivets, 1/2" long with 1/8" heads and it worked perfect. It actually took 5 min. per side and think I spent a good 15 min just on one side w/o success. To hide the rivet head I used a black sharpie.

I used the staples and it was very easy and super tight. Absolutely perfect. My set was missing a few staples, I had some 3/8 heavy duty staples.  I also added another staple up front on each side, although it was already snug I noticed up front had the biggest gap without a staple. Repops was the brand.