Sign in to follow this  
meangreen72065

Looking at a 1970 Coupe how much do I spend?

Alright guys, and perhaps girls too! I've had 5 mustangs up till about 6 months ago. I have been looking for a 69, but found a 1970 Coupe (351W/C-4 Auto-both rebuilt and running). Car is currently in primer, needs brakes, paint, and seats reapholstered, headliner, carpet, and a few small mechanical things in order for it to be complete. Also needs new tires all around. The lady is asking $4k for it. Underbelly is solid, little surface rust. With the negatives, should I attempt to talk her down any? If so how much? Fact of the matter is, I dont have $4k to drop on her anyway, so Im asking her to split it up with half and half! ANY help you guys can give me would help out a lot! Thanks!

Well, I dont have pics up front, but I did stop by where its stored and gave it a look over. Sheet metal has some cancer on the lower corners of the doors, and fender wells on all four. Pitting on the chrome, with some rust. Has the original rebuilt 351W/C-4. Interior is trashed and needs to be redone, pans seem solid, boxes are ok! I have $3K in hand as of right now! What do you think?

Hey Mike...Im throwing in a couple of pics for you guys to look at. Of course these are the pics that they have up advertising the car, and avoided showing the bad spots. Tell me again what you think.....I have another offer for a 69 Grande (302/Auto) non/ac in Mississippi which is not driving right now, I know it has a little cancer as well, but nothing major. 00d0d_8UKQhYwDVNe_600x450.jpg

01414_5mOU3uMVmBo_600x450.jpg

I'd first go look at the 69, since that is what you were after originally. Make an offer on it (if the rust is minimal). If they accept, great.

Otherwise, I'd do like Mike suggested, but only bring the $2500. Make them that offer and if they don't take it, politely thank them for their time and move on. The 70 has been outside for a while and I am sure there is more rust than you can see. It takes A LONG time to break through the chrome on the bumpers. It has two marks where rain water has poured down the hood for years and onto the front bumpers. If you saw rust at the bases of the quarters, there is most likely lot of rust in/around the wheel wells and the trunk drop-offs.

Just my thoughts.

Chuck

And this is why I come here! Thanks for the advice guys. Ill be looking into them both a little further. 70 is looking a little less likely. Im gonna have to go through it with a fine tooth comb as well. Ill throw some pictures of the 69 up as soon I as I get them, so you guys can judge for yourselves. Thanks again Mike, and Chuck!

They want $3500 for the 69 Grande............was running but he said they are having an issue with the starter (probably a $200 issue). Its in great shape minus a spot on the lower trunk lip by the bumper. Interior is decent, exterior is awesome, no rust! Here is what it looks like by the way! I can probably knock it down to $3000, and Im driving to pick it up in a couple weeks as long as the money hits like its supposed to! let me know what you guys think!

Well I cant seem to upload any pics for some reason...any ideas?

If you are uploading directly from your computer we have a helper thread on it: http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=2551

The easiest thing to do though is start an album here or upload to a photo page of your choice and copy the url then when you type your post click on this icon insertimage.gif and paste it in directly.