Sign in to follow this  
69stanggt

'69 coupe-AOD-8" rear ???

I'm working on a '69 coupe project and want to put an AOD tranny in it. It looks like an 8", stock 2.79 rear gears now. I was thinking 3.25 or 3.50 would be the way to go. Am I on the right track?? Also, the warmed over 302 will probably still be under 300 HP. Will the 8" rear handle the increased power?? Suggestions appreciated. I am reading some threads to help with this too. TIA. :001_cool: Jim

If you are going with an AOD you can use up to a 4.11, in fact, a few guys here swear by them.

I run a 3.70 w/aod and feel that I could have gone to 4.11 and been happy. Dont be afraid. Lots of the Fox body guys go 4.11 with these transmissions. If it was a 5 speed I would stick to 3.50, but its auto..

don't fear the gear! I'm running a 5 speed with 3.80 gears and it's a tick over 2000 at 65mph. perfectly happy with that... I'm also running an 8" behind a built 351w and manual. You should be fine with what you got.

All the replies are appreciated. I'll probably start with 3.50's and consider a higher ratio later if more fun is desired. About three hours ago I was wire wheelin' the underside of floors on the project. It's dirty and a bit monotonous, but another job where you see progress as you go. Seems to strike the right cord with me. Besides-- dirt washes off-- usually. LOL. :001_smile:

The 8" will be fine for the power but for the money you will put into gears I would go with an 8.8. I got one for $75. 3.73 limited slip and disk brakes. Just my opinion though. I have the same 8" and I just don't think it is worth sticking the money into.

The 8" will be fine for the power but for the money you will put into gears I would go with an 8.8. I got one for $75. 3.73 limited slip and disk brakes. Just my opinion though. I have the same 8" and I just don't think it is worth sticking the money into.

I have heard of this 8.8, was it original on some mustangs or does it come from some other donor? Where did you get yours? The reason I'm asking is I have an eight inch also and was going to use 3.50 gear with AOD tranny.

The 8.8 limited sounds like a much better deal. For $75.00 or even $100

would not be bad.

thanks for any info

Dave

IMO, I would just get a 9" rear and build that to my specs instead of putting money in an 8 or 8.8 rear. Yes, the 8" rears are fine and will fit your needs but the 9" is one of the best rear ends for any car. Why else would all these chebby guys be putting Ford rear ends in their cars? Just my 2 cents worth.

IMO, I would just get a 9" rear and build that to my specs instead of putting money in an 8 or 8.8 rear. Yes, the 8" rears are fine and will fit your needs but the 9" is one of the best rear ends for any car. Why else would all these chebby guys be putting Ford rear ends in their cars? Just my 2 cents worth.

I can buy a 9 inch that is from a 1972 F100 for $150 is this a good price

and would it have to be narrowed and spring perches modified?

This is a standard gear no positive traction, not sure what gear either.

thanks

I can buy a 9 inch that is from a 1972 F100 for $150 is this a good price

and would it have to be narrowed and spring perches modified?

This is a standard gear no positive traction, not sure what gear either.

thanks

I am pretty sure the spring perches would have to be added to an 8.8 rear because they were coil springs.

a 9" would be fantastic but even if you do find one for a decent price nowadays, you will most likely still need to change the gears. You can get an 8.8 out of a 96 and newer explorer with 3.73 gears, disc brakes, and limited slip. It will be plenty strong and they are everywhere. Again, just my opinion after doing plenty of searching for the proper 9" and also pricing out parts for the 8". Just use car-part.com to search for rear ends near you. The explorer pumpkin is offset a little so some people shorten the long side to match the short side and some just leave it. Google the swap and you will find plenty of details. It isn't for everyone but it is the route I am taking. Now, if someone offered me a 9" with the right gears and limited slip for under $200 that I could bolt right in, that would be a different story.