Sign in to follow this  
69shelbycoupe

halogen headlight

Some people have had problems with Halogens and headlight switches, as they pull more current than normal incandescent bulbs. That causes the headlight switch internal circuit breaker to activate. From what I've heard, those cars with separate high beam lamps seem to accept the Halogens better than combined headlamps.

Some people have had problems with Halogens and headlight switches, as they pull more current than normal incandescent bulbs. That causes the headlight switch internal circuit breaker to activate. From what I've heard, those cars with separate high beam lamps seem to accept the Halogens better than combined headlamps.

That is what I've heard a lot about but then again it may not as dennyb68 said. I guess I will try it and see. If it blows out I'll change it out.

Shelby,

Thats exactly what i bought after much research, this will undoubtedly provide much more power to whatever light you use even OEM lights or at least save your existing wiring and switch from the power draw. Unfortunately i cannot give you a review as mine is still in box and im in Afghanistan. I am very interested in the lights you have chosen however, this is the one pice to this upgrade i am not complete with. I have seen alot in excess of 100$ for the set on ebay, but am not thrilled with the bulbs nor the price, You have any recommendations on lights. I will be home in just over an month and this is the first thing i am upgrade so if i beat you to it ill let you know how the harness works out.

Shelby,

Thats exactly what i bought after much research, this will undoubtedly provide much more power to whatever light you use even OEM lights or at least save your existing wiring and switch from the power draw. Unfortunately i cannot give you a review as mine is still in box and im in Afghanistan. I am very interested in the lights you have chosen however, this is the one pice to this upgrade i am not complete with. I have seen alot in excess of 100$ for the set on ebay, but am not thrilled with the bulbs nor the price, You have any recommendations on lights. I will be home in just over an month and this is the first thing i am upgrade so if i beat you to it ill let you know how the harness works out.

I just bought sealed halogens. Two low and two high. I bought all four for $38. I was just unsure about the wiring. I may get that harness soon and give it a try

I've recently fitted halogen lights to my 69 coupe and the improvement is amazing. The plug for the inner high beam lights will have to be cut off and the power wire fitted to the bulb and the earth wire fitted to the earth point on the headlight body. Make sure you connect these two wires the right way as you will trip the headlight switches breaker if they are back to front. I'm running relays, one for high beam and one for low beam. Bulbs are 60/55 watt for outer lights and 55watt for inners.

Do your self a favor and power the headlights off a relay. Your old wiring will thank you and it is much safer. You can buy the relays, wire, and terminals from NAPA for under $25. Also, if you want some really bright high beams, run a Wagner 4049 bulb. They are a tight fit but its the same sealed beam used in KC day lighters and they really light up the road.

I am not sure the wattage. I just went to buy new headlights from napa and they said they don't have the incadesent or whatever bulbs anymore. So he gave me the direct replacement for that and they are halogens. It doesn't say on the box. I am in the process of getting all my lighting working. I am in the middle of a build as you can see the link in my sig. So actually I'm having a problem now as I don't have 12v power to the headlights and I put all new fuses under the dash. So I am trying to figure out where to start next. I hate trouble shooting wiring issues. At the connector it shows 3v