Sign in to follow this  
Pakrat

Where do we go from Retro?

Since I have little time to surf the net these days much less time for anything else and I let my Mustang Monthly sub run out I thought it might be interesting to start a thread about what the next new Mustang will be looking like. I'm sure many of you guys have leads on spy photos and links to info and articles so let's post 'em up in one easy spot to reference.

Whatdaya say, hmmm?

While the current fusion look is growing on me, that corporate style nose is not the look for mustang. I've been following this on the mustang group on linkedin. There are links there to discussions on other sites as well as discussions within the group. The opinions there are all over the map. It seems the fans of the fox bodies dislike anything resembling a classic including the current style and just want fresh lines. The classic fans (including me) would rather see some classic styling cues continue with any progression of the line. The SN95 fans typically don't like the current style and would rather see different styling.

My opinion/desire is ford to continue the line keeping some styling cues from the classics, maybe not the same ones with each refinement or redesign, but keep the mustang "mustang". Some have complained that ford is european-izing the car, it started out that way in the beginning, an american-ized version of European styling. While the spy pics show the fusion style nose, I don't hate it. My fear is it hits dealers with a production nose that looks like a ricer bumper kit (all mouth), hate that look.

i don't know why marketing guys are so dumb.

in europe, people import the mustang because it's a US-Car with US looks.

if they are changing to a more european look, the european and the americans probably won't like it, because the mustang badge should stand for a truly american design.

That spy photo Flanders posted looks kind of cool actually. It's got a mean stalker (re: aggressive) look to it. Interested to see what the rest of the car will look like now! I saw a rendering a while back that looked like a mini 2 door fusion, it was horrible. Glad they didn't go that route.

Not to sound like an old fart, but I just can't get into the new Mustangs. When they first went with the "retro" look I was interested but there was just something about it that made me not want to go out and get one. Then the Challenger came out and it dawned on me. The new Mustangs just don't look tough. I think it might be that they are too small or something. But compared to a 69 fastback, the new ones look like a toy and each version they keep coming up with just seems to get worse.

Just my opinion,

Jim

Not to sound like an old fart, but I just can't get into the new Mustangs. When they first went with the "retro" look I was interested but there was just something about it that made me not want to go out and get one. Then the Challenger came out and it dawned on me. The new Mustangs just don't look tough. I think it might be that they are too small or something. But compared to a 69 fastback, the new ones look like a toy and each version they keep coming up with just seems to get worse.

Just my opinion,

Jim

+1 same here, I never really could get into them, just wasn't my style of car.

if the 360 rendering is accurate and it is true that a turbo or twin turbo 5.0 Mach 1 with an IRS is in the cards, I would be all over that like Oprah on a baked ham. I would get one in Grabber Blue, like my Mach 1 and have the best of the old and the new.

The 2015 Ford Mustang will be officially revealed on December 5:

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2013/11/19/2015-ford-mustang-will-officially-debut-on-december-5/

Did not care for the 2005 so I ordered one last SN-95 in Feb 2004. After having two SN-95's ('94 & '98 see sig), I was not all that keen on the '99-04 new edge look, but I guess it had grown on me enough that I preferred it over the then new 2005.

These new Stangs have been my daily drivers so I always go with the V6 and Manual Trans. As it was coming time to replace the 2004, I was not all that excited about the 2010 still running the same 4.0L drivetrain that they switched to in 2005 (the 3.8/3.9L was much beter IMO) ... and was seriously considering a new 2010 Camaro or Genesis Coupe. Thankfully this new competition made Ford step up to the plate for 2011 and offer a competive V6 to the new Chevy.

I absolutely LOVE my 2011 ... best car I've ever owned !! Factory 305HP V6, 6-Spd Manual, 8.8" 31-Spline T-Lok Rear, True Dual Exhaust, and drivetrain, suspension & brakes basically the same as '05-10 GT. Heavier yet quite a bit FASTER than my '69, and that little 3.7L easily barks the Pirelli P-Zero 235/50-18's going into 3rd gear. Average MPG since new is over 30 MPG (this is mostly highway, but window sticker states 29 HWY).

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the redesign is really going to be like ... I'll have a couple of weeks to decide if I want to order a 2014 instead of waiting my normal 6 years which would be ordering for Spring 2016 delivery.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me

I know a fellow who works in a special place at Ford ....

about a year or so ago I mentioned to him something about a turbo on a mustang..

He said there is a turbo deal in the works but not for the mustang...

Anyone guess what it is...Ill give you a hint it starts with T and ends with S.

Dont know why Ford would do that...maybe use smaller motor to make same power

He did tell me that a factory lower end in their V8's would handle 700 hp on a turbo with ease.

I know a fellow who works in a special place at Ford ....

about a year or so ago I mentioned to him something about a turbo on a mustang..

He said there is a turbo deal in the works but not for the mustang...

Anyone guess what it is...Ill give you a hint it starts with T and ends with S.

Dont know why Ford would do that...maybe use smaller motor to make same power

He did tell me that a factory lower end in their V8's would handle 700 hp on a turbo with ease.

even if the 5.0 does not get a turbo, they are still talking about bumping up the power to 500 hp. Still worth it to me.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/2015-ford-mustang-revealed-american-pony-car-passport-045918929.html

So what do we think? Strangely, I kind of like it. Although I think the headlights look a little too "Asian" - which seems the way Ford is going on all their cars to appeal more in China. It's also a little bottom heavy looking.

But I think a 305 HP 4cyl Turbo and IRS is pretty cool! I hope they release the 4cyl through Ford Racing like they do the 5.0 - would love to stick one of those in the 69!

I've seen enough different shots of it to say I think the ol girl is gonna be alright. I don't love everything about it, but every time in the past I thought "they've ruined it" once I saw it in person it always looked better to me. I think she looks pretty good, so I can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Bossed

I am with Powershift, I need to see one in person to see if I really like it or not. And there is no telling if I do not like it now that it will not grow on me. Time will tell.

I'm liking this car. Nice to see she's got some hips again. A lot of those wheels would fit right in on our cars. I hope it doesn't look like crap in person.

Bob

It looks like early reports of the 5.0 not being available in europe may be exaggerated. Ford.de shows a 5.0 Mustang in the Gallery. When they introduce the Mach 1, I will get one to make old Sally a grandmother.