manley

Pieces - The 69 Mach 1

Mike,

I did something similar to what you did when I was much younger I was helping my older brother remove the cylinder heads off his 66 GTO. We removed the valve covers & were trying to remove the exhaust manifold bolts from the head. I was using a box wrench because there was not enough room for a ratchet wrench & when I was pulling on the wrench trying to break loose one of the bolts the wrench slipped off the bolt & the back of my hand hit the edge of the head cutting the back of my hand down to the muscle/tendons. It took 3 stitches to close it up & my hand was bandaged up just like yours & I was out of action for about 4-6 weeks.

Mike.

Believe it or not, it didn't hurt all that much. It happened so quick! I knew it was a matter of minutes until I got light headed and broke out into a sweat because all I could see was white tendon, which I thought was the bone, at the time. I ran in the house to clean it up... after taking a couple text message polls, I was outvoted on whether to go to the emergency room or not, so I drove myself to the hospital in my little 5-speed Ranger. I guess I hit the tendon right in the middle... not sure what the surgeon did, but I couldn't bend my thumb for a long time. Personally, I think they just opened it up to inspect it and sewed me shut.

Beware of those power tools!

Ouch. I feel your pain. Couple of years ago when cutting the speaker holes in my deluxe door panels with a box cutter, it slipped slicing my left thumb down to and including the tendon. Probably shouldn't have been working on the car at 1 am.

I wrapped my thumb with a paper towel and secured it with masking tape and drove myself to the emergency room. Had to have plastic surgery.

It actually hurt more when the doctor was manipulating the cut and poking around than the actual cut. Took some time before I got the feeling and range of motion back.

Good work/luck on the project too by the way.

It actually hurt more when the doctor was manipulating the cut and poking around than the actual cut. Took some time before I got the feeling and range of motion back.

Good work/luck on the project too by the way.

You have to love when they stick the needle in the wound to numb it up.... that was probably the most painful part of the entire ordeal. I'm glad memories like that fade away.

They did that to me too at the ER after they stuck my hand in some kind of red cleaning solution that stung like crazy, the Dr sticks the needle right in the wound which probably hurt more the me hurting myself.

Sorry to hear about your incident! I did the same recently (but did not hit the tendon- thank God). I was gun-shy from the grinder for 3 weeks. I've been using a cutoff wheel since I was 10 and never experienced anything such as that.

Keep up the great progress, isn't it awesome how the new sheet metal just transforms the car.

I hear ya.  Mine's been sitting for a while too, but a couple of weeks ago my schedule finally allowed me to get back to it. 

Question:  Flipping the car on it's side with this setup - is it a one man job?  What about putting it back down?  I assume it takes at least two able bodied people, no?

I hear ya.  Mine's been sitting for a while too, but a couple of weeks ago my schedule finally allowed me to get back to it. 

Question:  Flipping the car on it's side with this setup - is it a one man job?  What about putting it back down?  I assume it takes at least two able bodied people, no?

Two people... me and my 18 year old son did it.  Piece of cake!