Sign in to follow this  
MustangGT

Single or Double Pulley

Went to the local auto parts store to replace my tired alternator; when looking it up in the system he gives me the option to get a little more amperage than the stock one. He said since the car had A/C it would better to run the higher amperage.

He didn't have it in stock and had to order in. Well, went to pick it up and the alt came with a double pulley installed - my old one only had...you guessed it one. I couldn't do a pulley swap in the store since the PO had welded to the alt shaft.

I have seen in the Osborn Engine Manual my 351 did come with a dual pulley (depending on options). So it isn't out of the ordinary. However, I am not sure about 2 belts on an alt in my compartment.

Can I switch to a single pulley without affecting the performance of the alt or should I just suck it up and run 2 belts.

Thoughts/opinion/suggestions welcomed...

As long as you are running a wider belt, in Goodyear for example it would be a 17 series belt, you will be fine with one belt. You can also change out the pulley to a single belt pulley if you like, but you will need to buy the pulley. As long as you are not running an amplifier for a large stereo system the belt wont slip and squeal. If you decide to run a twin belt, make sure the belts are a MATCHED set. Otherwise one will be tighter than the other even if they are the same part number. B.

The trouble I've found is finding a crank pulley for a 351 that has two equal diameter pulley sheeves for the dual belt alternator. The 2 and 3 sheeve crank pulleys have different diameters, with the second for the water pump and PS and the third sheeve for the A/C.

I hadn't actually thought about the problem with the 3 groove crank pulley. I have only roughly installed the A/C (new Classic Auto Air Bracket), power steering pump, alt and crank pulley. Didn't have water pump pulley connected. I just re-looked at it and I could run it with one belt but that empty pulley would look so bare -- I don't think I handle seeing it every time I lifted the hood.

So I guess I will have to switch out to a single pulley. Just when I think I am done spending $$$ on the ol' girl she takes a little more out of my wallet. :cool2:

Will look around for a used pulley although CJ has them for less than $30.