JayEstes

Holes in firewall

Anyone-

What are the two large (~1.25in diameter) holes that are oriented vertically (upper right hand of this pic) thru the firewall for? The holes have been "punched thru" and protrude maybe 0.25in in towards the engine side.

I have a 302 with AC, and the heater hoses go thru the slot that open up to the hole where the ac evaporator lines go. (left lower center)

I can't figure what these holes are for unless the non AC cars use them for heater hoses in a VERY different configuration inside the car.

Can someone help me? THANKS

Jay

Edited by JayEstes

Anyone-

What are the two large (~1.25in diameter) holes that are oriented vertically (upper right hand of this pic) thru the firewall for? The holes have been "punched thru" and protrude maybe 0.25in in towards the engine side.

I have a 302 with AC, and the heater hoses go thru the slot that open up to the hole where the ac evaporator lines go. (left lower center)

I can't figure what these holes are for unless the non AC cars use them for heater hoses in a VERY different configuration inside the car.

Can someone help me? THANKS

Jay

Yes those are for heater hoses on non a/c cars

And for A/C applications Ford plugged those two holes with rubber body plugs like you see in various places on the car. Use a little bit of strip caulk on the backside of the rubber plug before you push them in from the engine side. B.

Thanks guys. Kind of surprised me that there is such a big difference in AC & no AC installs.

I do have a plug kit that I haven't broken out yet, I'll check it to make sure i have the plugs for those.

And thanks Bruce- I will put some high-temp silicone RTV on them to help seal it up.

Yikes. Haven't heard that. Any suggestions for something else to use? Paintable caulking??? I just resurfaced the metal (both sides) and it has been painted with 500deg engine paint. Seems to be perfect now - don't want to mess that up...

In case you need to identify other holes in the firewall:

firewallholes.jpg

1 Engine Earth

2 Sealing Grommet

3 Throttle Cable

4 Wiring Loom

5 Brake Line Holding Clips

6 Peg for Shifter Wire Harness Clip

7 Peg for plastic strap to hold brake line (under #5 there is another stud for a like strap to hold the wires to the hood scoop turn signals if equipped)

8 Heater Hoses

9 Punched holes not meant to be there ?? (Evaporator drain hole on A/C cars)

10 NOT A FACTORY HOLE

11 plastic wiring loom retainer

12 windscreen wiper motor earth

13 ground for hood scoop mounted turn signal harness

14 grommet/loom wiper motor

15 point to clip plastic strap onto

16 grommet heater motor wire

17 wiper motor mount

18 brake master cylinder and pedal support

19 Speedo cable

20 steering column

21 Trans Cross-member

22 Rubber firewall insulation pin

23 Harness from underdash wiring to engine feeds and alternator/battery area

24 heater box

25 Accelerator pedal screw

26 Accelerator pedal screw

The above pic is a non-A/C car

The one with A/C should be similar, see below for a decent pic. He heater motor hole is elongated for the A/C lines to go through the firewall, you have a few grommets just below the firewall lip for the A/C vacuum lines, and a few studs with large metal washers near the heater/AC box that mount it to the firewall

36075d1361972471-70-mach-1-firewall-holes-1969-shelby8.jpg

Thanks yes, only a few changes would be expected.

ALSO, I believe the hole(s) marked #9 should be a heater core/AC evaporator condensation drain line... The AC cars have a tube that drains from the bottom of the heater core/AC evaporator. This prevents significant water buildup from condensation from AC operation - especially in humid climates.

Jay

Yes, you can use this on the back side of the plug if you don't want to use silicone. As an FYI this stuff is used at various other locations around your car. And it's great for sealing your gas tank down to the body too. B

Yes, you can use this on the back side of the plug if you don't want to use silicone. As an FYI this stuff is used at various other locations around your car. And it's great for sealing your gas tank down to the body too. B

+1 This stuff is/was used all over these cars. It's good stuff and never hardens. You can get it at any good body shop supply house.

08578.jpg