Sign in to follow this  
Kris

fender bolt ?

I am curious if there is any real reason to use the fender bolts that have the built on washer. I would assume that a regular bolt with a lock washer would work just as well as long as it was large enough to not have a change of going through the hole. I am wanting to use stainless bolts on most of my car but the stainless fender bolts are pretty high compared to regular stainless bolts and I have a ton of these. I have all the original hardware that was on my car also but really don't want to have to clean them and unless you take them and have them plated again they will rust rather quickly with just paint.

I'm not sure why you couldn't use Stainless bolts. Perhaps there is a reason not to but my PO used Stainless bolts and all I know is I haven't had any trouble so far. Maybe down the road something will happen to verify this but for now that is what I have in my car.

I am a big fan of stainless. I used it all over the car including stainless brake and fuel lines. Also bought the AMK stainless kits for fenders, front sheet metal structure, engine kit, etc. I even made my auto shift linkage for the AOD conversion out of stainless rod and threaded the end. Just be sure to use anti-seize on the engine applications.

I am curious if there is any real reason to use the fender bolts that have the built on washer

Cause the panels they secure have slotted holes. Whether you use stainless or not you'll want a washer under the head of the bolt.

Thanks, i know to use a waher under the regular bolt. I was just curious if there was a reason or advantage to using the ones that have the washer built onto them instead of a regular bolt with a seperate washer.