Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

Using a tow dolly on my car

Am considering using a tow dolly to transport my car around. My car has an AOD trans in it now. Would I need to disconnect the driveshaft for this or can I just place in neutral and go? I have to pull the car about 45 miles.

I have a 4 speed and If I did that the gear oil would spill out, I don't know about automatics. Why not consider a flat bed from U-Haul, It cost me $55 for the day, was easy, secure and put my mind at ease.

If you do use the Tow Dollie, maybe you can keep the driveshaft in the trans and tie it up.

U-haul doesn't think my V6 2WD Tacoma Prerunner is worthy of pulling the weight of my car on their trailer. If it was 4WD apparently would be ok. Their trailer looks pretty hefty to me actually. What were you pulling it with?

I have a F350 Dullie 4x4. It really isn't that heavy of a trailer, but I know they do that computerize matching. You should be able to pull it with a Tow Dollie, that's if the wheel base is expandable, just make sure the driveshaft is secured.

If you'd like to play it safe, which I do. I'd rent one of their trucks and flatbed. unless you have a friend who has a pickup.

If they said my 2wd v6 silverado could pull mine, yours should be able too .. but yea go back and tell em your hauling a golf cart :) I tried a tow dolly before and they are a mess .. thought I was going to dent the side of my car when I was backing into a space.

Yes, I could get the trailer easy enough. To be safe and to ensure I didn't smoke my transmission in the process, how could I be sure what towing capacity is on my truck? I have read to not use the overdrive function when pulling toys with the Tacoma. I will have to check the manual but what do those trailers normally weigh? The 70 Mustang should be right around 3500lbs fully assembled?

My last 70 coupe had a Colum lock, not a dash ignition switch like my current 69 does. So back it on the dolly and lock the front tires straight ahead, also as stated above a bungee strap as a backup is a wise idea.

With the front wheels on the ground, you run the risk of hurting your slave cylinder. I say that because I ruined one on a 66 Fairlane GTA. I did tow it from San Diego to Iowa ..... more than 45 miles though. I had the drive shaft off and all four wheels were on the ground.

JAG

As it turns out, my Tacoma has the towing package and is rated to pull 6500lbs. I think I am good getting a drive-on trailer now. Was off today and made a few calls to find a shop to take the car to to get exhaust TIG welded up.

Do not tow a car backwards with the front wheels on the ground unless a rope is used to tie off the steering wheel. Not bungee cords and don't count on the ignition lock. It's just a tiny steel pin. I used to work for a tow company and I've seen the results from guys not tying the steering wheel off. Not pretty.

My car is being transported 45 miles one way. Still checking around but this is the place I will probably use.

Prayers - a lot of glass places provide a mobile service and will come to your location and do the install there.

Yes, I know of that. Thank you. In my case I had both full 1/4's replaced, so I'll need someone to put the rivets in the left and rear channel and then install the rear glass. Also, I need to buy the front and have that installed as well.

Yes, I know of that. Thank you. In my case I had both full 1/4's replaced, so I'll need someone to put the rivets in the left and rear channel and then install the rear glass. Also, I need to buy the front and have that installed as well.

Are you referring to the studs for the clips that hold the window trim on? If so aren't those welded on?