Sign in to follow this  
Bossed

Does it bother you

I just wanted to vent a little. I'm a die hard Ford guy, and I love a lot of different Fords. That being said, I can appreciate other brand vehicles, a cool car is a cool car or truck. The thing I just can't stomach is seeing Fords with something other than a Ford engine it. I remember when I started going to car shows 30 years ago and seeing small block chevys stuffed in Ford street rods, I didnt like then, and today is no different. The thing that I'm seeing more and more of, is people building or restoring classic Mustangs and powering them with non Ford engines. I just can't accept it, I don't care what the excuse is, to me it's just wrong. There are some websites that cater to pro touring type cars, and sadly this seems to be accepted by the majority of members (which are mostly chevy or gm lovers). I didn't think I'd see it here :sad::mad: . . . . my 2 cents

Bossed

I hate it too, it is just wrong. If it is a Ford it needs to have a Ford engine in it, whatever kind of Ford it is. Whether it is a classic Mustang, or a Cobra, or a Ford street rod it needs to have a Ford engine in it.

Ditto, ditto, ditto! As Tim the tool man Taylor once said when he saw a chebby motor in a Ford, in Detroit it's a felony to do that. If you want to get pissed off, go visit VMF and check out a thread in the mod and custom section. Some maroon puts an ls1 into a 69. Sheesh.

Bob

Ditto, ditto, ditto! As Tim the tool man Taylor once said when he saw a chebby motor in a Ford, in Detroit it's a felony to do that. If you want to get pissed off, go visit VMF and check out a thread in the mod and custom section. Some maroon puts an ls1 into a 69. Sheesh.

Bob

There is a forum member in our Projects section doing this very thing. It's not my cup of tea but to each their own I suppose.

i make it a point at car shows, that every time i see an old 30's or 40's ford street rod that actually has a ford engine, i go and thank the owner for using a ford motor in it.

Me too brother !!!! :001_smile:

+2 with Ramair351, I don't see it to often. I just don't understand why someone would spend all that $$$ on a custom build (Ford), then install a GM type power plant..Most of the time I'll just turn my back and walk away. Sometimes (being a smart a.. ) I'll say something like..Anyone can make a GM run, but you have to know what your doing to make power with a Ford..or if it's a Mustang, you do realize that you have a gelding there right ?...LOL

I just never thought we'd see this trend come to our beloved classic Mustangs. You can build the baddest Mustang ever and ruin it by doing this. Who the hell builds a FORD MUSTANG and puts a damn che... I can't even say it. Like you're about to make love to a beautiful woman, and when she undresses, you find out she's a . . . . . .DUDE!! :confused1: :huh: :taz:

Bossed :winkiss:

Edited by Bossed

Doesn't bother me in the least.

What I would really like to see is Ford design a modern engine that displaces more than 300 cubic inches in a package smaller than a Boss 429 so people can actually swap a modern Ford in an older chassis. That would be nice.

I have to disagree here. I thought about using an LS1 for my 69, and at one point was even debating using the IRS (independent rear suspension) out of a 240sx (I have a good connection to get Nissan parts dirt cheap). I ended up going with an '04 cobra rear end just for compatibility reasons but to me I don't care who made what. If its the right part for the job, then by all means use it. The LS series of engines are good engines, nothing wrong with using one.

To be honest, if I wasn't so far along my build as I am, I would probably be using a FWD setup out of something jap, (Like a 240xs, 3000gt, 300zx, etc..) and make the 69 into a mid engine car just for funzies. Talk about pissing off the purists. hehe :p

I don't like seeing Chevy engines stuffed in Fords. It gets old seeing Chevy small blocks stuffed in model T's and model A's. I once saw a 1966 El Camino with a Ford 460 in it. Beautiful car. I loved it when the owner would open the hood at car shows and watch all the Chevy guys get pissed. I"m a diehard Ford fan. But if I had a Camaro or Chevelle, I wouldn't for a minute dream of putting a Ford engine in it. I'd love to have a 1970 Buick GS. But no way in the world would I think about replacing the Buick engine with a Chevy, Ford, etc.

But if someone wants to crossbreed their car, more power to them. Their car and and can do what they want with it. But if they want to show it or sell it, they've just limited themselves to a very select number of people that will be interested in it.

I don't like seeing Chevy engines stuffed in Fords. It gets old seeing Chevy small blocks stuffed in model T's and model A's. I once saw a 1966 El Camino with a Ford 460 in it. Beautiful car. I loved it when the owner would open the hood at car shows and watch all the Chevy guys get pissed. I"m a diehard Ford fan. But if I had a Camaro or Chevelle, I wouldn't for a minute dream of putting a Ford engine in it. I'd love to have a 1970 Buick GS. But no way in the world would I think about replacing the Buick engine with a Chevy, Ford, etc.

But if someone wants to crossbreed their car, more power to them. Their car and and can do what they want with it. But if they want to show it or sell it, they've just limited themselves to a very select number of people that will be interested in it.

You sound like me. BTW, +1 on the 70 GS, only add one more letter to it for a GSX. As much as I am a diehard blue oval fan, if I could go back to 1970 and purchase one car, it would be an Apollo White 1970 Buick GSX.

I'm not much of a fan of seeing the other engines in cars. But let me devils advocate for a second. Do we or true blood Chevy guys get upset when we see Ford 9" rear ends in their cars?

On a side note, I just bought a 69 Chevy short bed side step C-10. In my researching I've noticed a bunch of C-10 guys will put late model step side beds on the 67-72 trucks. To me, it really kills the truck. But they also slam these trucks and put hot wheels tire/rims on too which in my opinion looks equally bad.

Jim

well...

this is awesome in many ways and not so much in others...

http://wot.motortrend.com/ford-mustang-fastback-tribute-supercar-has-a-corvette-zr1-heart-408197.html#axzz2fwRe544J

aluminum body... very nice... so why didnt they go with a Coyote motor and Boss suspension .. why did it have to go to the dark side...

Edited by stangme428

It doesn't bother me like it used too but there was a time that I dreamed of building a 30's ish Chevy with a Ford engine just to thumb my nose at that crowd. Like it or not though it's part of our car heritage ever since folks started hotrodding the old fords so there is a certain cool factor to me that some folks still seek to do it and pretty much for the same reasons. Whether you are a diehard of any one manufacturer or not if you don't respect the heritage of the hobby despite personal feelings toward it then you really aren't much of a carguy.

It's not my preference or something I would do or buy for myself but with the state of the world today I've got bigger issues that irritate and bug me than how someone chooses to build their car. People who aren't brand loyal just want to build something cool and different, they don't get hung up on details like who made what. It is just a car at the end of the day, if I needed an actual heart transplant would anyone look down on me if my donor was a Chinese Jewish person rather than someone raised French Catholic?

If I had to choose between two cars at a show1) being a very nicely cared for and restored Mustang running a Chevy engine or 2) a riced out over spoilered neon light show Mustang running a correct Ford engine I'd go for #1.

"actually meant the dizzy cap with the male terminals (usually found in GM),"

Sorry, No. Male terminals have been in use by Ford since the 1970's and Ford's version of "HEI" called "Duraspark" which looks completely different. The only thing they have in common is the male plug terminals. If you use a stock factory Ford Duraspark distributor, MSD sells an adapter plug that will allow it to mate directly to the "6" series MSD box of your choice. The adapter runs like six dollars, no GM parts involved at all.

In recent years there have been for sale HEI style Ford distributors. Pioneered by Davis Unified Ignition, they basically just mate the top half of an HEI distributor to the bottom half of a Ford. They work but most folks don't seem to care all that much for them. There are now cheap copies of the DUI unit out there that folks have found to be rather low quality in the long term.

As for the swaps, over and over I hear the reasoning for using a GM drivetrain swap into a different brand car is that is was the "easiest and cheapest" way to go.

IMHO anytime you're working on a classic car and you choose the easiest and/or cheapest way there's a very very good chance you're doing it wrong. Whatever it is.

"actually meant the dizzy cap with the male terminals (usually found in GM),"

Sorry, No. Male terminals have been in use by Ford since the 1970's and Ford's version of "HEI" called "Duraspark" which looks completely different. The only thing they have in common is the male plug terminals. If you use a stock factory Ford Duraspark distributor, MSD sells an adapter plug that will allow it to mate directly to the "6" series MSD box of your choice. The adapter runs like six dollars, no GM parts involved at all.

In recent years there have been for sale HEI style Ford distributors. Pioneered by Davis Unified Ignition, they basically just mate the top half of an HEI distributor to the bottom half of a Ford. They work but most folks don't seem to care all that much for them. There are now cheap copies of the DUI unit out there that folks have found to be rather low quality in the long term.

As for the swaps, over and over I hear the reasoning for using a GM drivetrain swap into a different brand car is that is was the "easiest and cheapest" way to go.

IMHO anytime you're working on a classic car and you choose the easiest and/or cheapest way there's a very very good chance you're doing it wrong. Whatever it is.

I interpret this thread to be about purists and the level of purity that they judge. There are many points of view on this topic in this and many other threads/forums. Bossed happens to be peeved by seeing non Ford motors in a Ford chassis and others may take it further and scrutinize an engine bay that doesn’t have a red line on the heater hose, Autolite plugs or an ignition running points…(the list goes on and on).

So when I said “cap with male terminals (usually found in GM)” I was merely illustrating another level of purity, I’m pretty certain the concours correct cap for a 69/70 had female terminals (but I’m sure someone will be quick to pounce if this is wrong). This is the first thing that always catches my eye since it is front and center on the motor. I apologize for my ignorance in referring to an HEI cap as the one with male terminals, it’s kind of like referring to facial tissue as Kleenex…so I am technically incorrect…you’ve proven that without a doubt.

Since this is not a technical thread I wasn’t prepared to defend my ideology with such wisdom. So back to the thread “Does it bother you…”

No doesn’t bother me at all. A muscle car should be a reflection of its owner. There are many examples on this site that show extreme attention to detail, yet others slapping on parts just to get a roller. I’m not going to judge someone’s car and/or dissect the build or components, do what makes you happy; and if you’re doing it for profit do what makes it valuable.<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Edited by Patriotgamez