Sign in to follow this  
bomccorkle

fmx crossmember to aod

Can anyone tell me maybe what exactly it is that I need to do to this cross member to get it to fit an aod?? Its just a factory fmx c/m and I've heard that it'll work just not sure what needs done. I am getting ready to prime and block and have the car all torn apart but looking for a few small projects while I wait on the weather and supplies. Any help would be great

Bo

I've been contemplating do an AOD conversion as well but that's a project down the road. I've done a lot of research on this and have attached some good reference information you might find helpful.

As for the cross member, I have read multiple times that the modern driveline cross member works the best. If you check CJ's website and type in AOD cross member, you will get some by Modern Driveline, Ron Morris, etc. I have read the modern drive line is the preference for the conversion. It shape provides better clearances versus the Ron Morris. (at least that's what I have read multiple times)

Again, I have not done this conversion but I too am contemplating doing the AOD thing down the road on my 69 restoration

The OAL of a short tailshaft AOD is the same OAL of an FMX. So you may not need a new crossmember. I would put the two transmissions side by side and see if the crossmember mounts on each transmission are in the same or different places before buying something I may not need. B.

Im pretty sure that adding a plate to fit would work. I remember the bolts being a little further forward than the FMX when I swapped mine. I used the ron morris crossmember and yes it sucks.

If I did it all again I would never buy the crossmember and modifiy the original instead.