Sign in to follow this  
zach69grande

underbody treatment for a driver

Hey All,

I've got my coupe up on stands to replace fuel lines, brake lines, suspension etc so i want to clean up the underbody while i'm down there - what have those of you done for cars you drive and enjoy? i'm not doing a concourse show car.

It has the factory undercoating and it's all solid and intact - should I leave it and just paint the bottom with a good epoxy paint?

have any of you used 3m body schutz to add more sound deadening?

what about wheel wells and insides of fenders?

i don't have a rotisserie.

I did a search and found a few threads but didnt really get a good consensus.

seemed a few people thought that underbody spray would insinuate that you're hiding shoddy work - i get that, but i want quiet, solid, and clean, but not something i'll hate to drive

thanks

z

My two cents if its worth it or not. After starting with some rubberized rattle can spray "undercoating" on my front inner fenders, I think I'm going to do the underside differently. I'm not worried about sound issues though as I've installed B-Quite on the inside.

I've actually had pretty good luck with Rustoleum truck bed liner on my RC lawnmower. The finish matched the original power chair finish and its been pretty tough so far. You can get roll on or spray can options. I just can painted my narrowed 9" housing with it and it stood up well to the install process without chipping etc.

I'm just going to spray the bottom of the car while on stands. Don't think the roller / painting options would be much fun upside down. I've already used a rust inhibitor in all the main areas so I feel good about that side.

Plus I figure if it does chip off it should be easy touch up with the rattle can. I know, not a top notch pro solution but IMHO anything is better that nothing and if one isn't worried about concours resto its worth doing something.

Again, just my two cents...

Stephen

Hey All,

It has the factory undercoating and it's all solid and intact - should I leave it and just paint the bottom with a good epoxy paint?

If it has factory undercoating, you have two choices: leave it alone or remove it.

If you leave it alone, I would strongly recommend not painting over it. First, it will be covered with tar, grease, dirt, etc., and any paint would not stick to it. Clean it as best as you can and leave it.

If you remove it, I recommend using kerosene or gasoline (of course, using proper care). Wire brushing or blasting is OK only if you do plan on repainting it. Often times, removal of the undercoating will reveal possible rust areas which have to be fixed before undercoating or paint is applied. Personally, I prefer the slow method of removal (gas, rags, and elbow grease) to see the actual condition of the underside. Once visible, if there is no rust, simply scuff and paint.