Sign in to follow this  
Pakrat

I need to enlist you all in the war against SPAM!!!!

This is getting out of hand and is obviously using some sort of botware to auto-register on the site and then start posting. If there is no way to blacklist originating IP segments, we may have to think of something else.

I hate to suggest this but some sites require manual oversight by an admin to approve new registrations. These would add more work for Pak or whoever is running this site but may be necessary to reduce this recent targeting that is going on.

Also Pak (or whomever) may be busy as I see the spam now hangs around awhile with no action being taken. This is what the spammers really want, increased air time. There are many of us that frequent the site or are in front of the PC already. Why not enlist us with limited admin rights and we can ban the user and nuke ads as quickly as they pop up?

Well I will toss my hat into the ring to help out as a mod.

Where I live now I can only use the net by cell site.

So I will not be reading the vmf site at all anymore because of the advertising chews up my alloted 5g very quickly. I can run this site quite alot and prefer to post here to help out those who have problems.

But its up to Pak to make that call.

Thanks Guys. Things seem to have settled down for now but I'll keep some promotions in mind if things start go sideways again.

I'm definitley not a fan of leaving this place behind, lots of history and info on these boards, I'd hate to loose my email account as well.

Pak, the spam clowns are back with a vengeance. What can we the members do to help you eradicate this "rust" off the website? Report the posts or the user? Let us know, even a couple of "Cop/delete" only admins might help. :death:

Due to the never ending spam if I was the sheriff I believe I'd put a moratorium on new members, and put a sticky explaining the reason. Good luck.

Bob

Due to the never ending spam if I was the sheriff I believe I'd put a moratorium on new members, and put a sticky explaining the reason. Good luck.

Bob

Or at least a 24 hour wait period until membership can be approved. :crying:

I ran a few forums and the Spam was unbelievable. Dozens to hundreds a day...a real PITA. I finally gave up. there were a lot from .ru so I banned anyone from there and things like that but there is currently no good automatic banning software that I know of...I did use stopforumspam dot com to help identify evil doers. Any way thanks for the forum and good luck with the scumbags.

I think these are accounts that got created before Ben put in image verification. They will dry up soon. From other conversations, I dont think they want to enlist additional moderation at this point.

If only it was that easy. Ridiculous.

Bob

Come on guys. We just got hit with a dozen spams in the last hour. Can't they be barred from posting for 24 hours after registration? The latest bot appears to be from Russia. Looks like Putin has stepped up his harassment for sanctions against him over Ukraine. Here comes WWIII. B.

Edited by LindenBruce

I ran a few forums and the Spam was unbelievable. Dozens to hundreds a day...a real PITA. I finally gave up. there were a lot from .ru so I banned anyone from there and things like that but there is currently no good automatic banning software that I know of...I did use stopforumspam dot com to help identify evil doers. Any way thanks for the forum and good luck with the scumbags.

we've been violated.

On the today post tab, this is the only non spam generated thread... so far but losing ground fast as the new spam threads are coming in 1 per minute.....

we've been violated.

On the today post tab, this is the only non spam generated thread... so far but losing ground fast as the new spam threads are coming in 1 per minute.....