Sign in to follow this  
eloyn7

Mach 1 LS1 build

I have been thinking of this exact swap, I know it is sacrilegious but. these motors are everywhere and make tons of power, Look at this on e-bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-CAMARO-LS3-ENGINE-TR-6060-TRANS-COMPLETE-PULL-OUT-18-631-MILES-LS2-LS7-/171206148253?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AChevrolet&hash=item27dcae809d&vxp=mtr

Well finally got off my ass yesterday and started doing the exhaust manifolds. I was picked up for EOD school so I'm moving in May. Time to get this thing running, looks like I will have to dig into the tax return to finish it up quick. The flanges where stupid looking and the hole in the driver side has been patched I had to remove the 02 bung bc it would have kit the steering, I will weld them further down on both.

image_zps26f401d5.jpg

[/url]

image_zps57e60aec.jpg

Edited by eloyn7

Well I think it maybe ready for my buddy to start his magic!!! He is going to be doing the wiring for me. I was able to find some o2 bungs at the local muffler shop and install them on my exhaust manifolds. I also recieved my 4" coupler for my intake so I will have to get a date for me to take the car in and finished up. On a side note I ordered a dakota digital VHX kit with the silver face and blue light up. They should hopefully be in next week sometime.

9EC787C4-1C0B-4516-A5A9-4C3348E5D310_zpssjxurbxw.jpg

D26B3C94-D62C-4899-8457-2CCC67A76D2C_zps4mgsjbjx.jpg

135D9B96-EBA5-43F4-8FAF-21D4EE830DDC_zpssxhjcs0t.jpg

2462A75A-16CE-41C0-9225-FAD95A83E58B_zpsiyiwexj1.jpg

I've been working on cars a long time but only recently joined this site. I've had all kinds of cars and my two favorites are the 1969 Mustang fastback, and the 1960 Corvette. I currently have three Mustangs, two 69's and a 66.

The reason people are putting LS motors in everything is simple. Bigger bang for the buck. More power, cheaper to mod, and better gas mileage. Yes, I can build a 302 stroker and get all kinds of torque and HP, but anything over 400hp and I have to worry about splitting a block. Yes, I could spend $1500-$2000 and a Boss or Dart block, but why? I could put that same money in a junkyard LS and have a motor with more torque, more HP, and not have to worry about my motor splitting. On top of that, I'll get better mileage; way better than a stroked sbf.

I may put the new 3.7 V6 in my 69. Lots of torque, stroke , and HP, but I bet I'd hear the same complaining about that, "Six cylinder is a step backward" etc. etc. It wouldn't matter that the 3.7 out performs almost every V8 Ford put in a Mustang prior to it. And if I throw a tiny 6PSI turbo on it, I'd blow most of your $$$ strokers away.

If Ford built a user friendly small block, people who had Fords would use them. Add two cylinders to the 3.7 and they'd have a winner. Narrow, light, performance, economy, everything people building rods want. The 4.6 and new 5.0 are big and expensive motors to work on, that's why people are going to the LS1.

When people come here and look for help, whether you agree with what they're doing or not, just help them if you can. The best way to help them is to not be negative, don't tell them what you think they should do, and if you can't do that, just be quiet.

Edited by MarkStang

I've been working on cars a long time but only recently joined this site. I've had all kinds of cars and my two favorites are the 1969 Mustang fastback, and the 1960 Corvette. I currently have three Mustangs, two 69's and a 66.

The reason people are putting LS motors in everything is simple. Bigger bang for the buck. More power, cheaper to mod, and better gas mileage. Yes, I can build a 302 stroker and get all kinds of torque and HP, but anything over 400hp and I have to worry about splitting a block. Yes, I could spend $1500-$2000 and a Boss or Dart block, but why? I could put that same money in a junkyard LS and have a motor with more torque, more HP, and not have to worry about my motor splitting. On top of that, I'll get better mileage; way better than a stroked sbf.

I may put the new 3.7 V6 in my 69. Lots of torque, stroke , and HP, but I bet I'd hear the same complaining about that, "Six cylinder is a step backward" etc. etc. It wouldn't matter that the 3.7 out performs almost every V8 Ford put in a Mustang prior to it. And if I throw a tiny 6PSI turbo on it, I'd blow most of your $$$ strokers away.

If Ford built a user friendly small block, people who had Fords would use them. Add two cylinders to the 3.7 and they'd have a winner. Narrow, light, performance, economy, everything people building rods want. The 4.6 and new 5.0 are big and expensive motors to work on, that's why people are going to the LS1.

When people come here and look for help, whether you agree with what they're doing or not, just help them if you can. The best way to help them is to not be negative, don't tell them what you think they should do, and if you can't do that, just be quiet.

Sorry about the duplicate post...I'm new.

Points I left out: When you buy aluminum heads, an after market cam, a stronger block, or all the stuff you need to do a stroker; what's left under the hood that's Ford? Nothing, or very little. What difference is there if you have an all aftermarket motor that looks like a Ford, or an LS1? It's still not a Ford.

If you're upgrading your motor/trans, the expense to put in a LS1 over 302/5.0 is minimal. If you're starting from scratch you still have to buy either set up. You're most likely upgrading to an overdrive tranny; and you'll probably want to get them both built anyway. If you use a 700R there's a provision for the speedo. If you're going fuel injection, either engine will need electronics.

The only advantage the 302/5.0 has is if you want to use a carb. The Ford wins that by a big margin, but with an LS1 harness being under $400, who would want a carb?

I think it's ridicules to talk brand loyalty about any auto maker. Ford/Mazda, Chevy/Toyota, Dodge/Mitsubishi, they all buy and have built for them parts from other auto manufacturers or from overseas. Have you looked at what automakers were involved with the development of the 2.4 engine? ALL 2.4 engines that a lot of automakers are using now?

I'm not a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, or any other brand car guy. I like cars that are cool, period.

Stop bashing people because what they're doing isn't what you think they should do. Weather I agree with what someone is doing or not, they're out there doing it, leave them alone.

I don't think eloyn7 needs anyone coming to his defense, for sure he hasn't asked anyone to so while you are welcome to the site MarkStang let's keep the gun in the holster shall we?

I'll say it one more time, let's ALL keep this thread to the build of his car and nothing else, leave your negative or in defense comments at the door please or your privileges will be temporarily revoked until you cool down and come back in a friendly fashion.

If you feel so strongly about how God awful end of society this is than by all means walk on by and don't even look in this thread. If it interests you though and you want to participate in any way than by all means do so.

The entire Hotrod community was practically built on the backs of Fords running Chevy's and we finally live in an age where acceptance and tolerance of difference is finally almost everywhere, this is not the kind of thing that should be troubling folks.

Yeah like I said in the beginning it is a semi budget build, minus the cost of the car. Lets just say I have less then $2k in the LS1/T56 swap. Of course that is not taking into account the small things like fuel injection lines, pump, exhaust...... Either way when the cost of the Coyote/T82 comes down to less then $4k I will swap it LOL.

On a side note, my gauges came in!!!!!

44CEEF4B-EE9F-4E82-95B6-68B2E261E495_zpsphei8se4.jpg

D7ACD1C2-A5F8-44D8-ABB6-A4AFF55FCE02_zpslfcqym4h.jpg

Very nice!! I'm going with the same gauge pack but in black and metric. This is an interesting build to follow, the LS into 80's Aussie Falcon swap is gaining popularity here as they are cheap to buy, much lighter than the Cleveland that was a stock fit and more powerful/economical to run.

I forgot to take pictures, but I welded in a new return line on the sending unit. I will eventually want to either build or buy a FI tank/cell so this is temporary. I take the car to my buddy to get the wiring harness done up, hopefully he can figure out the nonsense I left inside the car. I have forgotten where alot of the wiring goes..... I will be asking if he can't figure something out :)

Well after about 6 months on jackstand the car is back on the ground! My buddy should have it done in about two weeks or so, game plan is to start driving the crap out of it and work out all the bugs and take it down to Texas from Utah in April.

99756A6E-0065-410A-AE09-8E820B436CAF_zpssxzeg1j5.jpg

4503C6DE-5A5F-403B-84D3-47DEA965DD37_zps5mjkrukg.jpg

700A7907-CB3F-451B-8727-D43EC620BEAC_zpshypxdbow.jpg

7C2BF0CE-C38A-43EE-BBAB-FD74DCB3ECE1_zpsio5tny2y.jpg

If you zoom in on the bag, on the right, it looks like Dakota Digital.

What's going on in tx then? Tx2k??

You're smarter than the average bear. I just zoomed on the gauges.

Bob

I ended up using the AJE stock lower control arms, I needed some cash so I sold the adjustable ones. With the AJE k member you have tons of room around the motor. Im not sure how tall the Coyote is but there is a alot of room to go up and down. I actually lowered the LS1 to clear the trans tunnel, that t56 is a fatty.

I have found a few 2011-12 mustangs wrecked locally for about $9k so I think the price on them should be going down a bit soon. Figure you could part them out and end up getting the swap for close to $7k or less.

Edited by eloyn7