Sign in to follow this  
eloyn7

Mach 1 LS1 build

I know this is a Ford based forum, but I have always wanted a old mustang. I have had a bunch of fastbacks, well nissans, mazdas, and the closes was a 77 celica fastback i have. Any how I found this mustang last month that was restored 7 yrs ago and then left in a garage. The restoration was OK it was done by the Mustang Ranch in Murray UT. So my game plan as you all can see is doing a ls1 t56 swap as they are pretty cheap and I dont have to modify the strut towers. My biggest concern now is upgrading my brakes, and how low the drivetrain sits. I have some sn95 spindles, rotors, calipers and shocks that I picked up for $80. that I may try to use with some coilovers, and maybe get an upper ball joint adapter for the spindles.

IMG_4377_zps4cbdc078.jpg

IMG_4386_zps094d2d2d.jpg

And just to keep it ford, a little blue :)

IMG_4389_zps28ab3683.jpg

This is using the stock Fbody oil pan, so I'm curious if it is too low

IMG_4420_zps6fa52144.jpg

IMG_4419_zpsffb0039b.jpg

Edited by eloyn7
pics

I did the same thing in a 65 cobra replica. it will shurly not be as valuable when you sell it, but who cares, right? the ls1 is a powerfull and cheap way to go, and the chevy guys will LOVE it! nice project man.

What are you going to do about steering? It looks like the LS1 oil pan is a rear sump unit? Did GM make a front sump for the LS1? What did you do with the power train from the Stang?

10-22 on the oil pan. After a quick Google search it looks like you have 3 or 4 options for a front sump on the LS1. So maybe it won't be as bad as I first thought. Besides, how much taller can the LS1 be versus a Ford MOD motor? B.

Edited by LindenBruce

LS1 is nearly the same size as a Ford 351 irrc. In fact, the engines are nearly identical design wise.

Are you a memeber of Utah Muscle Cars? If not, head over to utahmusclecars.com The guys over there would LOVE to see this. In fact...that T/A looks familiar. Either a member on there or an old members car.

well the original idea was to go with a gto oil pan as it would clear the steering components.... then I realized by the time i rebuild the steering and put coilovers on it the price would be close to $1500 plus larger brakes closer to the $2000. So I'm throwing around the idea of either the mustang 2 kit or the AJE kit, I'm leaning more toward the AJE kit simply because I picked up some sn95 spindles for nothing so I can easily do the 13'' cobra brake on the front without spending $1200 on a wilwood kit. The only issue like most is the $$ I have to wait a while to get enough.

I did buy that car from UMCC, I was going to drive it for a while but I have my buddies 86 corolla while he is gone overseas for a few months :)..

I have a 99 TA if anyone wants a nice shell, lol

Well I ordered a AJE kit, should be here in a week. Christmas a few months early is always nice. I already have the 95+ spindles with the whole brakes and what not. I will get the cobra brakes in the future, main thing is getting this thing moving on its own before the fall. Then it goes back into the garage for either an 8.8 swap live axle or throwing the idea of a IRS using the DVS kit... but that takes $$ so an 8.8 out of an explorer may be more realistic...

Has anyone used a vintage air kit? I would like to get rid of my big old stuff and maybe get a gen iv or ii and make it work with the ls compressor or buy their compressor also. A/C is a must otherwise the wife won't be happy.

Would love to see this thru. I have contemplated the same thing but I have already rollerized my factory front end and made is road race acceptable so I'd like to know if an L's would fit with a gto pan and the factory steering gear.

A few things I have done this week, cut the trans tunnel, made a clutch pedal out of an old brake pedal, drill out the engine mounts on the towers, up next is cutting the towers to make more room.

P040813_1630_zpsd3c24532.jpg

P060813_1841_zpsd76524f9.jpg

P070813_1904_zps54d7c818.jpg

Christmas came early this year, sold my 75 Celica with a 1uzfe "v8 lexus motor" so I had some money to play with. Got the AJE kit in yesterday but the wife was under the weather so I had to keep the kids busy all day. But today I went in and started putting in the AJE kit in, don't care for the lower control arms they seem to be short they are made to use a lower offset/original offset. I went with some qa1 adjustable control arms I had laying around they gave me an extra 1". I will still use spacers, the wheel turned hits the rear of the control arm so a spacer is a must. Plus the wheel sits in too far for my liking, maybe add .5-1" or so.

IMG_4605_zps4dda5d5a.jpg

IMG_4604_zpsbd3b1983.jpg

IMG_4603_zps97450428.jpg

IMG_4607_zpsfd1ed30d.jpg

IMG_4608_zpsb52ad53e.jpg

IMG_4609_zpsd079e947.jpg

IMG_4610_zps5d6b8cd0.jpg

IMG_4611_zps6896ae96.jpg

IMG_4612_zpsbd3770b8.jpg

IMG_4614_zpsd7b5f268.jpg

Don't mind the pink gallon of bubbles, that what I use to keep the kids busy and within eyesight of me working.

Has anyone tried to make, or use camber plates, useing the wider lower control arms gives me horrible camber. so I am thinking of cutting the top of the shock tower and making my own to push the shock out further. Another concern is the top of the shock seem really tall and afraid it might hit the hood..... Haven't looked to closely yet, I took the wife and kids to dinner to get brownie points ahead of time :)...

Forgot to add the transmission AN-3 lines came in today also, instead of using the quick disconnect with a crappy plastic worn out ring.....I have them on the throw out bearing to the clutch master and as a bleeder line. Will post some more pics up tomorrow. Game plan is to install the motor and see if I like where it sits, and install the clutch master. If I have time maybe make it up to lowes to see if they have any thin plate to make the top tower to accept the fox coilovers. We will see what the Family lets me do :)

Im pretty sure aje also makes camber plates, but I,have no clue as to how much adjustment you can get out of them. At one point I had thought of using the top of an sn95 towers. That way you get a larger market on camber plates

I was thinking the same thing, I woke up this morning and started making the top plates out of 1/8" plate. I will have to buy some sheet metal to redo the strut towers this is going to give more room then what I thought. I will take some pics later and post them. My wife called me in I guess she wants me to do something else but work on cars today hahahaha. pics to come.

Here are the pics of todays progress, didn't get as far as I wanted but its a start.

IMG_4634_zpsa274f6ee.jpg

I wish I would have just taking out the shock tower instead of hacking them up... oh well live and learn I guess.

IMG_4634_zpsa274f6ee.jpg

IMG_4635_zps71ca8dba.jpg

I wish I had a band saw... I've seen a few on the classifieds might pick one up if I can find one cheap enough.

IMG_4636_zps4fd51576.jpg

Finally had to call it quit my drill press with the hole saw was screaming and it is late... kids bedroom is right above the garage. Tomorrow will be dedicated to cleaning up the garage and organizing again.. lost another chisel that flew off.

IMG_4637_zps9ea89c0c.jpg

Look forward to seeing what you do. I have a 91' Bird I had planned on swapping an LS into but my father and I purchased a 69 Mach 1 that will be getting most of the attention now. We are still unsure of what motor we want to go with so I will keep the LS in mind.

Well I'm really disappointed with Vintage Air, they sent me the wrong kit they send me the one for without A/C and the lines don't match up. I called them three times last week and they were supposed to call me back and I'm still waiting. I have a tig welder so I could make the AL lines work but I paid $800 for a kit that is supposed to be plug and play. Well I finally started welding the new strut towers, I am a bit worried I will have to weld in some reinforcement on the towers because they flex a little when jump on them. I'm thinking of welding in some type of gussets to make it stronger. Pics to come.

Well more bad news, the motor mounts from AJE don't work for the kit :( Unless you are suppose to use a different oil pan? I am using the Fbody, anyway this is the progress I have made. Looks like I will be making motor mounts in the morning if I can get the wife to go grocery shopping ;)....

IMG_4705_zpsaa85a164.jpg

IMG_4706_zpsb5bd8c08.jpg

IMG_4708_zpsd9dd50e4.jpg

Edited by eloyn7
pics

Well I'm back at it again, but I broke my camera so no pics till I get the ones off my phone uploaded. Anyhow, I have bought 03 Cobra wheels, fix the steering column, welded the trans tunnel, welded up that vintage air kit lines the way i wanted, currently in the process of putting in some sound deadening. Hope to have a rolling car again tomorrow. Oh and I have 1.25" spacers, i put them on the rear and the wheels sit flush :)

More goodies came in Griffin radiator, AN-6 adapters for the steering and I think like 10' of AN-6 braided steel line. The radiator is 25"x19"x2.5" i think, the only thing is I forgot to order the stupid cap so that will be my next order after I pay for some tuition this month... dang this education junk. 18 credits down toward my MBA taking 6 credits more fall 2. Can't find my stupid phone jack to upload pics, I will keep looking.

Here are some pictures of the 03 Cobra wheels I bought for next to nothing J I know it is on the wrong side but it was on the top of my stack.

P190813_1245_zps343f96a2.jpg[/url]

I have 100sqft of fatmat, started the front end and started cleaning up the rear floor panels to find some more rust. So my wife had a coupon for harbor freight for 25%off and went and bought me a bead roller.

P141013_1021_zps1e96b383.jpg

My made floor panel, and it burned in just some cleaning to do and move on to the passenger side.

P141013_2021_zpsb932f237.jpg

[/url]

P141013_2105_zps32dce9e5.jpg

Time to clean to table… and well the whole garage.

P171013_1406_zps72f4142c.jpg

Here is the double d to 36spline stuff I bought for the steering column.

P200913_1830_zps32bde9e1.jpg

Here is the Griffin radiator, sits in there pretty good. I will be attempting to weld the aluminum AC lines so the nipple doesn’t face the front of the radiator support.

P161013_1546_zps95e8fe53.jpg

Mine is the ugly weld, I had a guy at work weld one and I did the other not the prettiest but it should work just fine.

P140913_1617_zps2268e5e5.jpg

This is where it is going to sit, kind of low but it should be fine.

P020913_1416_zps56280053.jpg

Edited by eloyn7
pics

The wheels are 17x9 I think the offset is either +27ish or +32ish I will look again I am using 1.25" spacers. Where did you get the bigger bead roller? How did you like the bead roller what where the issues minus the size?

haha, I actually thought about getting a 5.0 engine cover off ebay seen they go for about $50. My buddy who is doing my wiring for me keeps telling me he is going to put Boss LS1 on the side. I told him I would let him do the Boss LS2 if he gives me the 6.0 he has I wouldn't mind throughing some LS3 heads on it and getting close to 500hp with a small cam :)