Sign in to follow this  
Mr.CNC

V10 or 460

I have a 69 coupe that I am in the middle of doing a 460 swap with MII suspension and came across a deal on a 2000 6.8 v10 with all the wiring and ECU. My current 460 is .03 over flat top pistons ported and polished heads with fresh 3 angle and a shave and a decent cam and intake.

I am on the fence about going to the V10 do to the EFI. and lack of hop up parts. I know pistons and rods are same as a 5.4. But if I got it I would port the heads and go .030 over with it.

What do you guys think efi my 460 or go all out and do the V10 for the wow factor?

I have a 69 coupe that I am in the middle of doing a 460 swap with MII suspension and came across a deal on a 2000 6.8 v10 with all the wiring and ECU. My current 460 is .03 over flat top pistons ported and polished heads with fresh 3 angle and a shave and a decent cam and intake.

I am on the fence about going to the V10 do to the EFI. and lack of hop up parts. I know pistons and rods are same as a 5.4. But if I got it I would port the heads and go .030 over with it.

What do you guys think efi my 460 or go all out and do the V10 for the wow factor?

Don't know what you want to do with it, but the V-10 would be different. I do know that parts will not be cheep for it, and re-building it will be expensive for the amount of power it might produce. Not too many dress up parts, or aftermarket parts especially for the 10, like you said, 5.4 with another bank of cylinders. Might be scary with a turbo though... 460 will be cheaper, a lot more torque, tons of after market parts, guess it depends on what you like, and the amount of $$$$$ you are willing to throw at it.

Don't know what you want to do with it, but the V-10 would be different. I do know that parts will not be cheep for it, and re-building it will be expensive for the amount of power it might produce. Not too many dress up parts, or aftermarket parts especially for the 10, like you said, 5.4 with another bank of cylinders. Might be scary with a turbo though... 460 will be cheaper, a lot more torque, tons of after market parts, guess it depends on what you like, and the amount of $$$$$ you are willing to throw at it.

That v10 is a lot longer than the 460 you may run into some fitment problems up front with the rad. and fan. Plus the v10's have known problems it's not worth it. I work for ford, I saw it all the time when there was a lot more of them around.

That v10 is a lot longer than the 460 you may run into some fitment problems up front with the rad. and fan. Plus the v10's have known problems it's not worth it. I work for ford, I saw it all the time when there was a lot more of them around.

to late. Picking it up tomorrow. Going to bore it. H beam rods, port it and custom cams. Then plug a custom tune in. I like the ideal of doing something other then the norm.

awesome!!! gonna be different!! can wait to see/hear the video... custom headers and 6,000+ RPM ... good luck man... subscribed!!:thumbup:

kenne bell did make a SC for it at one time....

Thanks guys. My 9 month old keeps me from getting to much time for the 69. But so far it has a MII front end tubular control arms. I making a bigger sway bar fit. I have a 8.8 out of a 95 in it. Going with 33 spline axles. fiberglass fenders and boss 9 hood and scoop.

HA! I found one for a 69 mustang from helwig suspension. I have made all my own brackets and have the location traced out where to weld. All custom. Please remember the all due to the mustang II suspension. I think it is a 1.5 or a 1.625.

Engine is home. Tomorrow I am going to get it in and figure out the new motor mounts. I don't want to disturb what I have in there so I can always go back the 460 if I need to.

Next I need a wiring harness to simplify the install.

there is a sticky at the top of the garage section .. but, you should be able to scroll down when you are creating a post and select manage attachments.. that will bring up a upload feature....:thumbup: looking forward to some pics!!

I think the aod-e will bolt right up the v10. The aod might have the same bolt pattern but I'm not sure. The 4r70w should bolt on as well. All three are very similar. I'm sure you know the differences like stronger internals and being electronically controlled.

Since my ECU was for a stick truck I need to ger a "dumb" transmission. I hear a C6 BB bolt patter will mount up but put the starter in the wrong spot. Going to try my c6 this weekend. I did find a adapter to fix that. If not I may look for a 5 speed out of a early cobra

The first year and a half of the MOD motor they used the same small block bellhousing pattern we all know and love. After that Ford changed the belllhousing pattern on the MOD motor. Now as far as the V10 goes I have no idea if the pattern is different. If you have the V10 computer you can get it reprogrammed for the 4R70W I'm sure. There is very little room for an adapter plate at the rear. Mine barely fit and that was after spot facing the two top bolt holes about a 1/4" and using shorter bolts when I added an AOD to my FE. More pics please. B.

My v10 is the same as the newer mod 4.6. I was told by detail zone that if my ecu was not for a auto it wont have the pin outs for it. I am sure I could buy one off ebay that was for a auto. I am thinking a t45 out of a 96-98 cobra might work well since I have the clutch and plate. Just need the clutch pedal.

Thanks for the info! hope to make the mounts or rough them in this weekend and start cleaning the motor up.