Sign in to follow this  
Thunderscrash

Scoops or not?

I am starting the long process if rust repair on my 69 fastback and I am starting with the quarters. The higher metal is in good shape so I think I can get away with just skins. I just can't decide if I want to keep the quarter scoops or not. I ordered a set of quarter skins from cj's without the scoops cut in and I am trying to decide if I want to cut out the scoops or go with the Boss302 look. I lean slightly toward the look of the 70 fastback which also does not have the scoop but I am not completely against them either.

To anyone with experience, is it easier to just weld in the quarter and then come back and cut out for the scoop or vise versa? If I can run without the scoop for a little bit and them go bak to it if I decide to I might go that way but with my limited body work experience, I am looking for suggestions.

Personally I like the scoops. They wanted to have cleaner lines when they deleted the scoops for the 70 models. One reason I went with a 69 is because of the scoops. I just like the look. Like I said, just my opinion. It all depends on what you like and think is better. After all it's your car...LOL

I was in the same boat. I decided to keep the scoops. Its one of the things that make a 69 a 69. Take a look at the photos attach you can get an idea what i did to weld in my quarter skins. Don't get me wrong the 70 no scoops look is awesome but I prefer the scoops. Its you car do what makes you happy.

Yep scoops are needed for 69 unless you are trying to do a boss 302 clone. I like the scoops. I think most people do but there are some that dont. But it is your car and you can do whatever you want to with it. Nice thing about owning a car, you dont have to agree with what everyone wants you to do with it.

Cj pony parts is where I got the clips. Clips helped me a lot, after i cut the quarter panel out and lined up the new quarter panel skin. I'm happy I stayed with the scoops. I'm not a welding pro myself, I got a quote for all the metal I needed to replace and decided to buy a welder and do it myself. I have shaved door handles, welded in roll pan, and welded in cadillac taillights in my 02 silverado. Makes me appricate the car more and the work I put into it. It's only metel if you mess it up cut it out and start over.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/intergrip-panel-clips-by-eastwood-set-of-4/p/EW19016/

do what you like ( always first idea the best ) , the scoop is only emotional thing and create some agressive or sporty looks for me , the only one practical thing the turn signal indicators , i m personally go for scoop

B1002, do you have a link to where you got those clamps? This I my first time doing body work and those look to be very helpful. Did they make things easier at all?

You can probably get them cheaper from Harbor Freight part-# 44751 $5.99 for 8 of them. They are called butt welding clamps.

I don't think ill ever sell the car. I know once its done ill never get what I have in it besides this is my dream car. I was thinking of replacing the skins without the scoops but saving the metal in case I change my mind. Or am I just making things difficult? If I keep the scoops I am going to mold them into the quarter so they look seamless and I am going to make them functional.

And I picked up a set of those clamps from harbor freight, it was the last set they had in stock :).

I don't think ill ever sell the car. I know once its done ill never get what I have in it besides this is my dream car. I was thinking of replacing the skins without the scoops but saving the metal in case I change my mind. Or am I just making things difficult? If I keep the scoops I am going to mold them into the quarter so they look seamless and I am going to make them functional.

And I picked up a set of those clamps from harbor freight, it was the last set they had in stock :).