Sign in to follow this  
zudman

Problem Master and slave or trans

This is what I have, 70 vert- TKO 600- Alum bell- Superior clutch Kevlar/kevlar-Hyd Master LF series type 1-Hyd External slave type 1..

After Adj and bleeding the system (I believe per print,) I have a good firm pedal.

Now the problem, the car is up on stands I start it up and push in the clutch, I go from neutral to 1st before it's even close to going in, the wheels start turning, does this in all gears. I didn't want to try and force it into gear not knowing what would happen..Didn't try reverse.

Things I've tried

(1) Adj slave for more pressure on T/O bearing.

(2) Turned car off put in 1st let clutch out, the wheels turned freely.

(3) Let the car warm up 10-15min.

All with the same result, no change.

Now there is something I did wrong but don't know what. Hopefully it's not something internal in the trans.. Thanks in advance. I'm spent.

I believe what you are experiencing is hydraulic forcing of the output shaft by the input shaft turning in the tranny, but they are not actually physically engaged. This only happens when the car is running in neutral on a lift (wheels off of the ground). You can stop the wheel rotation with your hand. This condition is perfectly normal.

Thanks Midlife.

I believe I did something wrong when installing the trans,clutch etc. etc., but for the life of me don't know what. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I disconnected the slave to eliminate that possibility and with the car off the ground and in 1st gear the wheels should not turn, correct ?? Well they turn. Is there anything else I can check before pulling the trans back out...Thanks again.

Midlife, At lease one curious mind. That fading little light came on in my head when my wife said "I thought we were going to put that locker unit in BEFORE we did the clutch adjustments". Now things make sense and after checking, problem solved.

Before going too far with this, I would recheck the clucth adjustment.

There is a reason for not having the T/o bearing ride the Pressure plate.

premature T/o bearing wear and possiable damage to the engines thrust bearing are just two.

M1Rider. Thanks. I was thinking the same thing when we first did the install, that there should be a gap at least .030. But the instructions that came with the clutch kit ( Superior ) says the T.O bearing should be touching the P.P with about 8lbs of pressure. I think I was a bit fat on that, so I will start over with the the adjusting and see what happens....Thanks again