Sign in to follow this  
Daves69Coupe

problem starting

I recently ran the car out of gas while starting it the garage one day and now that I've re-filled the car with gas Im not getting full ignition. Just getting lil puffs out the exhaust, Im not getting a backfire out the carb or anything like that.

The only thing I changed from when it was out of gas til now is I installed an Ignitor box in distributor.

try a shot of started fluid. See if that allows it to run. If it does, then you have spark and timing. If it will not run on starter fluid, you probably do not have spark. Are you sure the ignitor box was installed correct? If it was not done correctly, you might be able to get the car to run a little bit, but it could ruin it if not done correctly.

try a shot of started fluid. See if that allows it to run. If it does, then you have spark and timing. If it will not run on starter fluid, you probably do not have spark. Are you sure the ignitor box was installed correct? If it was not done correctly, you might be able to get the car to run a little bit, but it could ruin it if not done correctly.

I followed the step by step instructions that were included and double checked everything a couple times. Im gonna double check the fuel line again tonight, make sure theres fluid in line between mech pump and carb.

Dave, you said you ran out of gas, check your fuel filter it might have gotten plugged up when you ran out of gas if there was any dirt or rust in the bottom of the tank.

sprayed some starter fluid down the carb and it sounded like it wanted to turn over more but never did. Think I have to look at spark now. Are the red and black wires from the ignitor box supposed to be terminated on the ignition coil or just ground? I have both wired currently.

First thing I would do is remove 1 spark plug and 1 plug wire. Install this plug wire onto the coil. connect the spark plug directly to the coil out put. Ground the plug against bare metal on the engine, have someone crank the engine over, and look for a strong consistant spark. If you have spark, then I am willing to bet you are not getting fuel to the carb, or your timing somehow is off.

** If you current coil plug wire is long enough to reach bare metal, dont worry about using a different plug wire. I only mentioned this because mine is not long enough.

** Make sure you only touch the insulating boot of the plug wire, and do not lean against the car when doing this.. or you might get a little jolt.. I've done this a few times to troubleshoot, and havn't been shocked.

Check your voltage at the coil. Put the positive lead on the positive connection on the coil, and the negative lead on a chassis ground or the negative battery post. If you have anything less that 11-12 volts, the ignitors don't always work correctly.

The original wire running from the key to the + terminal on the coil is actually a resistor and it cuts the voltage down low.

If you are not getting 12 volts, then try removing the (I beleive pinkish colored wire) off of the + coil terminal. This is the wire that goes to the ignition switch. Remove this and tape and secure the end of it.

Temporarily run a wire from the starter solenoid to the + side of the coil. Check voltage again, you should have a full 12 volts. Try and start the car then.

Make sure you connect the wire to a terminal that is switched with the ignition key. If this works, you can just secure the wire in place and use this to permanently bypass the original resistor wire.